Help! CYA is 25 ten days into SLAM.

Tfaff

Jan 18, 2016
St Anthony,MN
I've been pouring between a half gallon and a gallon an hour all week with high temps and full sunshine. When I started this almost two weeks ago, cya was at 40. I just checked it today though and realized the stabilizer is low.
i put a couple socks out in the skimmer and return, so when should I check FC again, and add chlorine? What else should I test for?

It would probably be best if we could see all of your test results as of today to get the full picture. But previously at a CYA of 40, your SLAM FC level would've been 16. Your sig implies you have a multiport valve and the ability to backwash, so it's very possible that you've depleted some CYA during those backwashes. The minimum CYA for a SLAM is 30 to provide some top-cover from the sun. If that CYA dropped low as you suspect, your FC hasn't been protected enough therefore the SLAM may not have been as productive.

So now that you've added more stabilizer, once it dissolves it should increase your CYA in 24-48 hours. If your new CYA target was 40 again, plan on maintaining an FC of 16. If you find that your CYA went a little higher, closer to 50, then your SLAM FC level would be 20. In addition, if it's been a long time since you've checked pH, I would do that before raising the FC again. Make sure to test pH when the FC is below 10, then increase FC back-up to the appropriate SLAM level based on your new CYA. As with all SLAMs, make sure to review the SLAM page to ensure you're not missing something you should be doing each day (i.e. scrubbing, inspecting ladders, behind lights, etc.).

I did get my Ph to 7.2 before I started the slam, and CYA was 40. So my target has been 16 since I started on July 11. I didn't know to check anything besides the fc until today. I checked CYA and it was 25. I've been out in 100 degree heat all week pouring gallons and gallons of bleach into my pool. So this afternoon I couldn't reach anyone here, I am wiped out. So the best I could figure out was to get the CYA up so the chlorine wouldn't be zapped up again tomorrow. I put in the best I could figure to measure, 24 oz of stabilizer in two socks and it has dissolved this evening. So after this, I retested at 10:30 pm and these are the current readings. Can this be a reliable CYA reading at this time?
What should I do now?

Thank you, Texas Splash, I'll continue on tomorrow. Should I deal with the PH first?

The first week I did several backwashes and we got a couple of heavy rains so that must have lowered the CYA. This week the pressure has stayed the same so I haven't backwashed for several days.

- - - Updated - - -

MarianParoo, The stabilizer is all dssolved, so I'll retest the CYA in the daylight tomorrow, thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bring your FC back up to shock level based on your CYA level. Since you added CYA, base that off of the CYA level you were shooting for with the addition. You can test the CYA again tomorrow with full sunlight, either in the morning or evening is easier as the sun is not directly overhead.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how many gallons are you basing your calculations on? With a pool that size I get around 11,600 gallons assuming it's an oval with 48" water depth.

Looks like you passed the SLAM criteria. :goodjob: So now that your CYA is a little higher than it was a week or two ago, hopefully your FC will hold better. Just let the FC begin to sink back down to its normal daily target value. I would recommend keeping the FC in the 5-7 range and never let it go below 4 in this heat. See how things go for the next few days from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.