Need to Do Ascorbic Acid But Water Cloudy

poodlegirl

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
I did an Ascorbic Acid treatment a couple of weeks ago. Then Jack's Magic. After many bumps in the road I finally finished. Well, after about a week.....a stain started to come back. But it was a different stain. It had more of light black color. Not algae. Tested with Vit C tabs and stain came off. I then started to add Ascorbic Acid again. Chlorine was around 3 but I decided to try anyway. Some of it came off (where I was able to apply right over). Before I knew it, I had used the whole two pounds. Really wasted it since I had not dropped my chlorine. So, I have been brushing it and trying to drop chlorine.

Before I started to drop chlorine I put the Polyquat 60 in it. Today I wanted to start the Ascorbic Acid again since chlorine is now zero. However, when I went out this morning the pool was cloudy. We had a very hard rain late yesterday afternoon(not sure if that matters). Is it safe to try the Ascorbic Acid treatment with the pool cloudy? It's not a bad color just a little cloudy. I tested the water this morning.
Results:
Chlorine - 0. FC ,TC, CC
PH - about 7.3(color was between 7.2 and 7.5- took one drop of acid demand to go to 7.2)
Alk- 90
CYA- 90

How Long Does it Take For a Reply?

Hi,

I was just wondering how long does it take for a reply? I am in need to start removing stain with Ascorbic Acid. I got my chlorine down to zero but pool is cloudy. No visible algae. I still probably have some Ascorbic Acid left in from about a week and a half ago. I did put Polyquat 60 in it about a week and a half ago and during the week this past week. My question is it ok to go ahead and the Adcorbic Acid in it now so I can start lifting the rest of my stain off. I posted yesterday morning early but have not had any replies.

Thanks!

Re: How Long Does it Take For a Reply?

This was my original post: (Sorry I just thought I was posting wrong)

I did an Ascorbic Acid treatment a couple of weeks ago. Then Jack's Magic. After many bumps in the road I finally finished. Well, after about a week.....a stain started to come back. But it was a different stain. It had more of light black color. Not algae. Tested with Vit C tabs and stain came off. I then started to add Ascorbic Acid again. Chlorine was around 3 but I decided to try anyway. Some of it came off (where I was able to apply right over). Before I knew it, I had used the whole two pounds. Really wasted it since I had not dropped my chlorine. So, I have been brushing it and trying to drop chlorine.

Before I started to drop chlorine I put the Polyquat 60 in it. Today I wanted to start the Ascorbic Acid again since chlorine is now zero. However, when I went out this morning the pool was cloudy. We had a very hard rain late yesterday afternoon(not sure if that matters). Is it safe to try the Ascorbic Acid treatment with the pool cloudy? It's not a bad color just a little cloudy. I tested the water this morning.
Results:
Chlorine - 0. FC ,TC, CC
PH - about 7.3(color was between 7.2 and 7.5- took one drop of acid demand to go to 7.2)
Alk- 90
CYA- 90

Metal treatments is one of the most complicated aspects of pool care. Most pool owners do not have metal in their water and have never had to treat for metals. Consequently, most users here are unfamiliar with the processes and are unable to assist other users with metal treatment. TFP is a forum run by volunteers and is pool owners helping other pool owners because we love TFP and we love our pools. There is no expected service level. We don't ask you to respond to other's threads within a certain amount of time and we don't set that expectation for others to respond to your threads.

We hope you enjoy your time on TFP!

Please feel free to jump in and answer other member's questions to help out! :)

I think another reason for little response is there is no clear easy path to get your pool in shape......but let's give it a try.

I assume you are filling from a well, correct?

Can you tell me the iron content of your water?

PS - don't respond in any other thread....keep everything in this thread.

I do not have a well. Have not tested water for iron. Stain comes off with the AA treatment. I'm guessing it's iron or copper. I do not have a heater. I put more AA s couple of hours ago. A lot of stain came off that I can tell. The water is still cloudy so I cannot tell exactly. I tested PH a couple of hours ago. It was about 7.5. I put soda ash in. Just tested it again. PH is now 7.2. Alk is 90. Of course chlorine is zero. I put Algae control a few days ago (Polyquat 60). I was about to go ahead and put 2 bottles of Jack's Magic Blue Stuff in. The stain is very faint so if this doesn't get off I will just wait until fall. I had a CYA reading of 90 earlier today. How much bleach and when should I add? I know directions on this site say to lift slowly.

If I put the Jack's Magic Blue Stuff in tonight (will put 2 bottles), will that make my pool cloudy even more? I guess it doesn't matter, I need to put it in anyway to get whatever is in my pool out. If I just had leaf stains that deposited something in the pool, would that come off with Ascorbic Acid? Maybe it's just that. I don't know where I would get iron or copper from. But I deal with this problem every summer. Usually, after I do the one treatment, everything is fine.

Sorry if my earlier post sounded rude. I just have not been on here in a while. I did not know your users had increased so much. I just thought there were certain admins. that responded. This site has been a life saver so many times. Do not mean to sound unappreciative. And, of course, if I see that anyone has a question that I know I can answer, I will do so. Thanks so much for your help!

So you do not fill from a well (which is the common source of iron) and you have never tested for iron yet you are doing an iron stain removal process? I do not understand that.

I don't think i would ever start a stain removal procedure until I knew what the stain is. The information you have provided doesn't sound like it is iron to me.

Naturally, you have to manage your pool the way you see best. You certainly did not come off to me as being rude.....just anxious to get your issues fixed. Nor did you sound unappreciative.

You have a fairly complex problem that I think you are making more complex by not positively identifying the stain.

I have identified in the past(last year and year before) with Jack's Magic stain test kit. Stain came off with Ascorbic Acid. It came off with nothing else. But, you could be right, I may just being doing overkill. Oh well, Lol! I'll try Jack's Magic Blue Stuff and backwash tomorrow. What about the chlorine? How much should I put at first and when? I do have bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you normally chlorinate your pool? SWG? CYA at 90 without an SWG will require fairly high FC and higher FC is one of the things that tends to cause stains to return. Is there a reason why your CYA is so high? Are you interested in a partial drain to lower CYA? It would also remove sequestered metal from the pool. 50ppm would be better if you don't chlorinate with an SWG. Which would allow you to maintain your chlorine at almost half the level.

Raising FC by 1 ppm per hour has seemed to work OK in the past. You will have to add enough bleach to raise FC by 1 and also make up for any FC consumed by organics, sunlight and the ascorbic acid. The goals it to raise it to min for your CYA first, preferably in a day. Then raise it to target the next day.

I normally just put Trichlor pucks in my chlorinator. However, I noticed before it takes a while to come up if just waiting on the pucks to do the job. I did put water in my pool this morning, backwashed, and rinsed at least four times. So, I guess CYA should be down a little. I will test again tomorrow afternoon.

If my chlorine is 0 tomorrow (which it should be-I have not put any in), and my CYA went down to say 60 or 70.....how much bleach would I need to put in? I tried to use the calculator earlier this week but wasn't sure if I was using it right. However, wouldn't the AA just eat up my chlorine for a while? I got my bleach from Home Depot. It says "Germicidal" and it is 10% and the bottle is 121 oz. I bought four of those bottles.

Should I put one or two bottles of bleach at first and keep testing the CYA and Chlorine? Should I plan to leave the pucks out until I get my CYA down? I did adjust my PH and ALK before adding the Jack's Magic. PH-7.2 - ALK -90

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.