Pentair Easy Touch and Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump

Fins

Jul 14, 2016
Boca Grande, FL
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We are 99% complete with the construction of our new pool and we've realized that our builder is not really up to speed on how to set up the automation system. They've spent 2 complete days working on it so far and it's still not working correctly.

So far, when we switch from pool to spa, the valves change over and everything appears to be functioning correctly. The only problem is that no matter how we adjust the settings, we cannot get the Ultra Temp heat pump to kick on.

When I hit either the Valves button or the spa side remote button for 'Spa' the Easy Touch changes modes, the 'Heater' light on the Easy Touch panel lights up, the LED screen on the Easy Touch system says 'Heater' but the heater will not start. On the heater, the 'Remote' setting is set to RS-485 and the heartbeat symbol is flashing like it's communicating but it will just not come on. On the Easy Touch panel, it says the spa temp is 88 degrees and the setpoint is 100 degrees.

For settings on the Easy Touch, we have the settings as follows:

Under 'Heat' we have Pool setpoint at 80 degrees, heat source as 'Ht Pmp'.

Under 'Heat' we have Spa setpoint at 100 degrees, heat source as 'Ht Pmp'.

Under 'Settings' the 'Manual Heat' is set to 'On'.

Under 'Settings' the 'Heat Pump Com' is set to Yes for Enable, Yes for Heating, No for cooling.

For wiring, we have a yellow and a green wire connecting the Ultra Temp heat pump to the Easy Touch. On the heat pump, the yellow and green are connected to pins 2 & 3 on the RS-485 connector block.

On the Easy Touch, this is where it's very confusing. The yellow and green are currently landing on pins 2 & 3 of the 'Com-Port' connector block. The Intelliflo pump is also connected to these same pins. Others have suggested connecting the yellow and green wires to the 'Heater' block, that didn't work, splicing the yellow and green into the 'Elec Ht' connector, that didn't work.

At a loss as to what to do next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One last question. This Easy Touch system also has the integral salt generator controller. There are 2 circuit boards in the controls section of the control panel. A small one that I believe is for the salt generator and a large one where everything else lands. There is a small bundle of 4 wires that is connected to the Com-Port pins on the large board and the other end is hanging loose. It looks like the loose end should be connected to the Com3 pins on the small board. Can anybody confirm this? The contractor said he thought it was hanging loose when he first opened the panel but I'm not convinced he didn't pull it loose when he first opened the controls compartment.

Wow, long first post. Any assistance would be tremendously appreciated. We're at a loss at this point on what to do next other than to hire another contractor to finish the controls install. Seems crazy to have to do that but unless we can figure it out, I don't think we have any other choices.

Thanks!

I looked at my EasyTouch, which has the built in SWG controller/power supply, and J20 on the main PCB is connected by a 4-wire cable to J3 Com port on the smaller PCB. I don't have a heater so I'm no help there..

It appears to me, looking at the manual, your wiring to the EasyTouch is correct. The yellow and Green to the same two J20 pins where the Intelliflo pump is connected.

Jim R.

Thanks for taking a look for me. I thought it was odd that a connector would just be hanging loose in the panel. I've got it re-connected.

I just found some obscure reference on another forum that mentioned requiring a solar temp sensor being required for heat pump operation even if you don't have a solar system. Just connect the sensor and coil it up in the panel. I guess the heat pump is set up as a solar system. I'm still digging...

Thanks again.

Spent a good part of today working on this and no luck. Heater turns on & off manually with no issues. In Auto mode, heartbeat is flashing so I assume it is communicating correctly, heater is showing up on Easy Touch screen and red heater LED is lit but...no heat pump.

I went ahead and ordered the solar temperature sensor and will hook it up tomorrow and will try to set the heat pump up through the solar setup menu.

We'll see what happens. After this, I'm calling in reinforcements!

Has the heater ever actually fired up? As in you know the heater has sufficient gas supply, ignition and pressure when it gets the signal from the control board?

On my newly installed easy touch board, there are four clear points for the colored heater wires to be connected. On my old intellitouch board there were only connections for two heater wires and two were tied off....

Do you have any error codes for the water sensor? Is the temperature of the pool calibrated correctly? Have you tried raising the temperature target?

Thanks for the reply. It's a heat pump not a gas heater. I got it sort of working tonight. Not really sure why or how but it seems to be working. I added a solar temp sensor today and when the heat comes on it says 'Solar'. I'm fine with that as long as it's working.

I'm doing some reading now on calibrating the temp sensors.

Fins,

I noticed, when I looked at my Screen Logic programming page, there is a check box that says "Solar is a Heat Pump"... I have no idea how to translate that to control panel programming, but it sounds like you are on the right track.

Do you have ScreenLogic? If not, you are missing a great enhancement. It makes the operation of the EasyTouch, well... Easy.. I've said this before, but I'll say it again.. If Pentair gave ScreenLogic away for free with each EasyTouch sale, they would quickly double their EasyTouch Sales. It is just that much better..

Jim R.

Still having one odd issue with the heat pump operation.

When switching into spa mode, the heater will not come on automatically. If the spa temp is 85 and the set point is 100, it should come on automatically. Only way we can get it to come on is to go over to the easy touch panel and bump the temperature up one degree. As soon as I hit the button to raise the temp 1 degree, the heat pump fires up and runs normally. Switching back to pool mode and the heater shuts off automatically as it should.

Anybody know now why the heater will not come on automatically when switching to spa mode? I have the heat settings for both pool and spa set to 'HtPmp'. There is another setting for 'HtPmp Prf'. Not sure what that is. Anybody know?

Last thing. Heat pump will only operate when 'solar' is on the screen. When switching to spa mode, it says 'heater' and will not come on. How do I skip the 'heater' part all together and go straight to 'solar'? I'm assuming the system treats the heat pump as a solar system.

Thanks for any insight and assistance. Almost got it.

It is wired incorrectly.

RS-485 requires a 4 wire connection to the com ports.

You can utilize the existing 2 wire setup as follows...

- TURN OFF ALL BREAKERS
- In easytouch, swap wires to low voltage heater relay (bottom right of board when you flip it down)
- In ultratemp, swap wires to the common and spa terminals (top middle when you flip the display down). You will need a couple female wire connectors for this.
- In ultratemp, set remote mode to relay control.
- In the heat menu, use "heater" as the source.

That should take care of it.

Reactions: ProJC427
Thanks for the reply. The manual seems to indicate that this is a 2 wire connection between the EasyTouch and the UltraTemp. It states to use pins 2&3 only (green and yellow) and in bold letters, it says not to use pins 1&4. The word 'not' is underlined, is in capital letters and is bold so I'm a little leary to hook the other two wires up. I have pins 2&3 on the heater connected to pins 2&3 on the EasyTouch com port currently.

I have a 4 wire running between the heater and the control panel but I'm only using the yellow and green wires. Are you saying I should connect the other 2 wires as well?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My bad! I double checked that manual and I see that now. I always use the relay control because I'm normally wring into an older automation.

I'd either swap to relay control or call Pentair.

Fins,

Here is a reply I gave to someone else with a heater connection issue. See if this gives you any ideas about using the relay..

"Ok, here is what I recommend.

1. Run AC power to the heater without any relays.. Circuit breaker direct to heater AC input.
2. Inside your EasyTouch, take an unused Aux relay and connect its two-pin coil plug to the Electric heater output on the main circuit card. It has a two pin plug just like all the Aux relays do.
3. At this point you should be able to turn the set point for the temperature you want up and down (on the EasyTouch) and make the relay go on and off.
4. You may have to turn on the heat function in your EasyTouch first.
5. Assuming you can turn the relay on and off, then open up your heater and find the wiring that goes to the flow switch (Marked FS D102 and Gnd... See your heater manual)
6. Now wire your EasyTouch relay, that is now controlled by the electric heater output, in series with the flow switch inside your heater.
7. If you now turn on your heater and set it for max temp, then "in theory" the heater should run until the EasyTouch see the temperature it wants. When that happens the relay opens and the heater stops due to a low flow interrupt.
8. Once the temperature drops below the set point the relay closes again and "in theory" the heater will turn on.

Try it and see how this works. And.. if you don't have ScreenLogic, you might want to get it as it makes turning on the heater and adjusting the set point about a 15 sec job and from inside your house."

The above was for a different heater, but the same basic operation should work for you.

Jim R.

Got it working today. Gave up on the RS-485 connection. Connected two wires from 'gas heat' connection on Easy Touch panel to 'Spa' and 'Com' connectors on heat pump. Changed communications protocol on heat pump from 'RS-485' to 'Relay'. Turn spa heat setting all the way up on heat pump. Disabled the 'Heat Pump Com' setting in the Easy Touch and set heat mode to 'Heater' instead of heat pump.

Turns on/off perfectly in both pool & spa mode and operates as it should. Temp is controlled via Easy Touch as expected.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.