Cant Secure Niche Retaining Ring

Jun 12, 2015
New York
Bought new stainless niche retaining ring (8-hole American Pentair) and the gasket. After getting 5 of the screws in tight, the last 3 screws won't grab the threads of the holes in the niche. Unfortunately, the 3 holes are together, so the ring and gasket won't seal tight. The screws go in, but when they get to the ring, they just keep turning. Screws are 1/4" 20, machine, flat-head. Tried plumbers tape, no good. Tried 2 sizes of plastic wall anchors but they didn't grab and just spun when screws were inserted. I'm tempted to just tap the holes with 5/16" 18 tap to get new threads and then use 5/16 screws. But I'm a little concerned about the filings falling down and potentially cutting the liner. Also, if I vacuum them out, will they rip the filter grids? And if I do the tapping, do I need to drain the water down below the holes?

Got any ideas? Thanks.

I did a dye test around the niche and it turned out that at the three holes that wouldn't hold a screw, the dye just shot right in all three of them. So I "mummified" the 3 screws with white plumbers tape, even getting a portion of the screw head and screwed them in. That appears to have fixed it, no more leaks.

Hey, it was worth taking a shot.. It wasn't your basic how to question. You have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.