Small and skinny pool - worth it? Need advice

Jul 9, 2016
torrance
I've had 6 pool builders out to our home to see if it's even possible to put a pool in our long and narrow backyard (21 ft wide by 50ft long). Five of the builders said we could put in a small pool 11x30 (setbacks are 5ft from all sides) and one said that a pool that narrow wouldn't get used much by our 2 sons (ages 10 and 8) or their friends. That particular builder said he could makeover our backyard and turn it into an entertainer's paradise for half the cost of the pool.

I go back and forth daily as to whether or not we should move forward with the pool build or ditch the idea completely.

Do any of you small pool owners regret putting in your pool or do you feel it was well worth it? TIA

I don't know anything about skinny pools but when I was 11 and my brother was 13, my parents got a small, round Doughboy (4 feet deep). We--and our friends--loved it. 25 years later, my parents actually still have it and still use it. Your pool would be way bigger than our Doughboy so I am guessing it would be used a lot.

(Or you could just do what I did when I wanted a pool...which was sell the house and buy one that came with a pool lol)

I love looking at pics of pools so I can get a feel for what I can do in my yard. Thanks for the link and the pics! Very helpful.

It's reassuring to hear that the kids will enjoy the pool regardless of size. Thanks for all your input.

It's a hot one here today in SoCal. A dip in the pool would be perfect right now.

Its doable, you just won't have much room for anything else...I didn't get your address until I had this finished this so there may be some inaccuracies.

Are you sure the back fence is 21' from the house? 50' was accurate but I kept getting 16' for the other measurement? Either way, this is based off 21'.

Brian, that is awesome! Exactly what I've been envisioning. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I'm glad that I reached out on this site. The contributions have been so helpful.

I've measured it a bunch, each time hoping that I miscalculated and the yard is actually larger, but it keeps coming out to 21 ft wide.

We were at a friend's block party yesterday and I got to talking to one of the neighbors on the street. She mentioned she had a pool so I quickly asked her what the dimensions were and she said, "30 long, 10 wide, then there's a spot with a Baja shelf that's about 15 wide. Let me show you!" She took me back and it was GREAT to be be able to see what a 10ft wide pool looks like in person. The pool was really nice and it gave us a good idea of what we could have at our house. Funny thing is had her pool not been there already, and she was just showing me an empty yard, I would have never thought the yard would be big enough to accommodate a pool. It just goes to show how deceiving looks are.

Btw, she said their 17 year old and his friends use it all the time as well as the neighborhood kids. We're sold!

We built a small IG a few years ago and we love it. We had a budget to stick to (which included cement and fence) so we decided to go small. We love our pool. I am in the pool almost every day and so are our three children, sometimes with friends. In my opinion, it seems it doesn't matter how big or small your pool is - as long as it is well maintained and it cools you off! Plus, it is easier to take care of.

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 8.04.32 PM.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Over the years we have seen many pool builds squeeze pools into spaces that makes yours look big. There was another one in Texas that comes to mind with a lot very similar to yours that was built right up against the existing covered porch area. Searching for it now, but in the process I found this interesting build thread

New Member - New Pool Build in DFW Area

Ah here is the one I remembered

A Small Pool is a Good Pool.....The Woodlands, TX

Ike

p.s. here is one of my favorite proofs of if there is a will there is a way Small DIY 12'x48 AGP...(UK)

Hi Stacysio!
A couple of years ago I felt the same way as you. Desperately wanting a pool, but not sure if we could fit one in our small back garden. I called the Pool Builder over for an opinion and he said yes, it was definitely doable. So we now have a smallish pool which takes up about 1/2 of the garden, with paving round it which ties into our patio. It looks fab and even though we live in chilly England, we make use of it from April to early October. We do have to heat it though!
Go for it if you possibly can, you won't regret it!

My pool is 12x30 with 6 feet of Baja Deck (NIC the Spa). Ping me if you want to stop by and take a look to get a better feel. Tile started today!

You think it is hot in Torrance?? Try Woodland Hills!!! 109 today :D

IMG_5032_zps2e0ppjkb.jpg

Thanks all for the pictures, links, and positivity! When I come here and read the posts I feel more confident in the decision to move forward.

Frank - I grew up in La Canada and my parents still live there. We visit them often and when we're in the car on the way up, we like to watch the temperature rise, 20 - 25 degrees sometimes. When it's hot in Torrance it's definitely roasting in the valley. Btw, your pool looks great! I can't wait to see it with water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.