Town with no (or very few) pools?

Jul 23, 2016
Snowflake AZ
I live in western NY (Rochester area) and we have some tough winters, and humid summers. I'd say typical "pool season" is from late June to early September for most folks. Lots of pools around here, maybe 10% of some neighborhoods have a pool, who knows, maybe more (many above ground, some in-ground as well.)

I have had it with NY taxes, and the high cost of living here, and our family is hoping to move to a small town in Arizona. Snowflake is the target, a town at 5800 feet elevation. What we noticed when we visited the town (I have an uncle who lives there) is that absolutely nobody has a swimming pool. The weather was in the 80s when we visited in June, and was certainly warm enough for swimming, from our NY perspectives. Temps there seem to reach about 9 or 10 degrees higher (looking at "average high" data from usclimatedata.com) in the summer, though the max temps are about the same. If average high temps were the only consideration, they should have about 2 extra months of pool weather.

We're hoping to put in an above ground pool when we move there, but I'm wondering if maybe we'll be sorry. Maybe someone here will have an opinion or idea about some concerns I have.

1. While temperatures are nice in the daytime, they're somewhat cooler at night. Perhaps that is one reason swimming isn't the obvious choice we thought it would be. Maybe heat losses at night make the season shorter than here?

2. Relative humidity there that I remember was 5 to 60%, while here is is more like 50% to 98%. Maybe pool heat losses are much higher there on a mid-80s day than we get here, so maybe they really do have a "too short" season to make swimming reasonable.

3. They get a lot of wind. I believe that also accelerates the cooling losses of evaporation. So maybe pools just don't warm up there like they do here. Or maybe with all the wind and dust, pools are too difficult to keep clean?

4. The summertime is "monsoon season" there. So more clouds and rain than any other time of the year. So maybe the weather just doesn't cooperate for pool usage?

Will solar heating overcome these challenges? Am I worried about nothing? A resident there suggested that there are no pools because nobody can afford it. However, in a town where many houses are under $100k, there are other homes selling for $350k or more. So it seems like that can't be it. She also said it "wasn't worth it" because the season would be too short, only late June through early September. That's exactly when we swim here in NY!!

My wife loves to swim, and swimming is one of the few ways we can get our video game and YouTube addicted children to be active - and they'll do it for hours on end, without complaint. Snowflake's "community" swimming pool (located at the High School) was closed indefinitely last year because of needed repairs to the pool and building, and no funding could be found. The only available pool we've found in the area is the "Family Aquatic Center" in Show Low, 20 miles (27 minutes or so) away. Not impossible, but not as nice as our own pool.

I've read ideas like using insulation board under the pool liner (to help smooth the ground as well as insulate) as well as thoughts about sidewall insulation, using solar covers, solar water heating ideas (which should work really well in AZ) etc. I guess I'd like someone to confirm that a swimming pool would be a good enough idea in Snowflake, with maybe some solar heating ideas if needed. Also, it seems like it could go a long way to helping our kids make friends there, if they had the only pool in town.

If you look at an aerial picture of Penfield NY, or Brighton NY, places we've lived here, you'll see every neighborhood is dotted with these bright blue circles, ovals, etc. It was a real surprise to look at the same sort of aerial pic of Snowflake and see absolutely zero pools.

I'm interested to hear what folks think about this.

Thanks,
Scott in Penfield NY (hoping to escape to AZ soon...)

I hear the have pools in FL. (Just sayin)
I'm trying to escape the humidity, not double down! Honestly, when I work in humidity, my face literally rains onto what I'm working on, and it's the most miserable I can be. Also, my glasses fog up inside my motorcycle helmet. Oh, and I look forward to riding my motorcycle in the mountains - does Florida have those, too?

Several years ago I spent a few weeks in Phoenix in July. I was amazed to find the pool was not blistering hot. The air temp was 115-120 almost every day but most days the pool was not as warm as mine at home. I did not see any type of cooling system attached to the pool. We went out to eat and the place had spray nozzles shooting a mist of water onto the sidewalk from the roof overhang. Just a real fine mist, so fine the ground was barely even getting wet, but it felt about 20 degrees cooler standing under it. My aunt and uncle had what they called a swamp cooler on their patio, just a big box with a fan and a garden hose hooked to it. The fan blew across the water pad and the air came out feeling almost like air conditioning. Evaporative cooling seems pretty impressive. I don't know for sure but maybe that's why the pool stayed so cool.

I know exactly what you are saying about Florida, takes a special breed to live there. I only thought Iowa had humidity until I spent two weeks in Orlando visiting my dad. I somehow made it out alive, now that is humidity.

We have had mid 90's all week and dew points hovering around 76, when I got up at 6 am it was still 79. My pool is sitting at 88 degrees with no solar cover and no heater, feels almost like bath water.

I suspect the humidity plays a big part. I had the exact same Intex pool that I have now, in Colorado. Both installations were exposed to direct sunlight 12+ hours per day. In Colorado the water temperature leveled out in the mid 80s, while here in Nebraska it is usually over 90 unless I run a fountain. The only difference, that is readily apparent to me, is that I lost a lot more water to evaporation in Colorado. Evaporation causes heat loss and topping off frequently added cooler water. Just my 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure we're going to go for it anyway. If it ends up cooler than we'd like, I'll make a solar heating system (plenty of high-altitude sunshine, much hotter than Rochester at 500 feet elevation) and maybe get one of those big rigs to roll and unroll a solar blanket, to keep heat and evaporation losses down overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.