Swapping return/suction hoses

Jun 8, 2007
Arkansas
My Intex pool has only one suction and one return hole.
The suction side was lower in the pool than then return side.
It came with a skimmer so I added it on and therefor doesnt matter where the actual hole is, because you adjust it to water level.

My return is higher up, about 2 inches or more and is fine but I wasn't getting as good of circulation as I wanted. (was right on top of water, or an inch below it)

So... I swapped them... I put my skimmer on the high side, and my return on the lowwide, and swapped the hoses on the pump so that it still suctions from the skimmer.

My question is this... will this help circulation better as the return is now 6'' deep in the water rather than closer to the top, or did I just waste my time?

That should help a little. You do want to encourage water from different depths to mix. Usually this is done with a return that can be aimed to the side and somewhat down. If your return can't be aimed in a direction then what you did sounds like a good partial fix. Better would be to get a return fitthing with an eyeball that can be aimed in an appropriate direction.

I've been looking for something like that.
However, I cant find anything that will screw onto my pool that is that big.
Its proboally 2'' in diam. I was even looking for a screw on piece that just aimed the water in one direction rather than just "out there" but nothing so far.

Glad I didnt totoally screw the pool up, and that it should help.

The AG pools usually have the return lower than the skimmer anyway.

I would try to just get some threaded pvc fittings with a reducer that has a 45 or 90 deg angle. That would do the trick just as well.

I figured the return would be lower to start with, but then I got to looking and there is a + on my pool and on the pump and it shows it's for the skimmer side (lower in the pool) I guess this is so you can still use the pump if you dont fill the water full. (it came w/ a strainer screw on "plug" if you didnt use the over the side skimmer)

Either way, I switched them out and seems to work better. Does anyone know if they make a eyeball that will adapt to these Intex pools?

Go to their web site. If there is a part for Intex pools, its there. They have a web store. I just ordered some of the plunger valves for our old Intex as we are selling it to get it out of our storage bin. So it appears they even carry parts for the older pools (ours was probably 10 yrs old) They have everything.

Andy, if the fitting is 2", then perhaps a threaded pvc fitting with a 45 deg or 90 deg would work pretty well? I would try it. I modified ours to high Heaven - you gotta make it work best for you.

kmb997 said:
JasonLion, do you think the swap that andysutt did is better for circulation of water at lower levels or is it better to leave it the way it is for water surface movement?

I think the new way is better. You want as much mixing of the complete volume of water as possible. The way it was before both the skimmer and the return were near the surface. That can potentially lead to stratification, where deeper water doesn't mix with surface water. The new way the return is lower down while the skimmer remains at the surface. This will increase the amount of mixing that happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.