Total Pool Drain and Algae Removal

mmfclu

Jul 18, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hi, I'm a Newbie to TFT.

My CYA is 200 and it's hopeless, so I'm ready to totally drain my 13,500 in-ground chlorine pool into the sewer cleanout and start over. I've read a great deal of this awesome information on TFT and now understand why I've had challenges balancing the pool chemistry because I had never before seen the Pool Math calculator. I've also ordered a K-2006 kit.

My FC and CC were both 0. I made a decision not to do the complete SLAM process as to bring my CYA down to 50 it would have required 23 jugs of 96 oz. bleach. Instead, to make a big dent in the algae on the pool walls and some on the floor, I did use 6 jugs of 96 oz bleach and 2 lbs. of 73% Calcium Hypo and been brushing like a mad man! The pool water looks clear, but there is still some residual algae on the pool walls and floor.

After the pool is drained, what should be my best algae removal strategy before I start refilling the pool with water? I assume I could brush closer and use my pressure washer, but should I consider any other chemicals?

Thanks,

Marc in Dallas, TX

PS: I did complete my pool info in my Signature but I'm now sure how to make it show up here.

Welcome to TFP!

It doesn't look like you saved the signature after you entered the info. Click Save bottom right. To make it show up click the show sig box on the left under the text box. Once you check it it will stay checked. It needs to be checked once for each device.

You could brush it and spray it with some diluted bleach. But either way you will need to SLAM Process the pool when it is refilled so I would skip it.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
After the pool is drained, what should be my best algae removal strategy before I start refilling the pool with water?
You cannot mechanically remove algae from any pool. You kill algae with chlorine.

If you drain your pool, I would work on any stains you can remove ( a mixed spray of chlorine and water works) but remember, after you refill, chlorine is what keeps algae out of your pool.....not filtration or any other mechanical means

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.