Hi All,
I'm came back from vacation to find a pool pump that had been running dry every day for so long that smoke came out when I removed the cover to the pump basket...
I figured that there was either a clog from the pipe from the pool to the pump or the pump itself was bad. A quick fill of the pump basket and turning on the pump motor (there was suction, which immediately emptied the "pot") made me think it was a clog in the pipe.
I got out a 25 foot snake and ran it from the pump basket as far as I could. No obvious block. I then ran a blaster-type hose fitting with copious water from both directions. Again, no obvious block.
I also decided to disassemble the pump enough to see if Incould see any fault with it. While the motor ran like a champ, the impellor seemed to be "off", so I bought a replacement Jandy pump on Craigslist. I hooked it up, and everything looked great... until it didn't. I am down to virtually no suction, so no flow on the return.
My only suspects are a walnut shell (from a nearby tree)in the pipe that turns sideways sometimes (allowing flow) but now is turned in a such a way as to block the flow, or some other item like this.
The only other variable is that we have passive solar panels on a flat roof 8 feet above the pump. It takes about 7 or 8 more PSI to push the water up... Normal PSI without solar panels and with a clean filter is 13. This rockets to 30, even with a clean filter.
I am stumped...

Hi Dave, I also noticed bubbles in the return line, which could support a low water condition. I have since raised the water level and flushed the suction line the best I could from both directions, with no change.

Today I will turn off the circuit to the solar panels and see if that helps in any way.

Thanks,
David

Very little improvement with solar out of the loop... Still convinced it is a clog.

That's a VERY confusing post. Didn't you eliminate a clog with your snake and "blaster-type" hose?

It is on the suction side of your system....the solar is unrelated.....it is on the pressure side.

Hi Dave,
I understand. I should have elaborated. Under normal conditions (no solar panels in the loop, clean filter) the pump pulls/pushes at about 13 PSI. At 13 PSI, the water coming from the return was really shooting out, and the pull/flow on the suction side was also very strong.

Because the water goes up to a flat roof when the solar is included, that PSI (clean filter) rises to about 21, and flow to the return (and from the skimmer) drops accordingly.

I took the solar out of the equation ONLY to see if a blaster from the skimmer PLUS a "more powerful" (not having to push water up to the roof) pump might free the clog. It didn't...

I am trying a different blaster. This time I will try from the pump side.

For some reason, I think it is a walnut shell that spins when pressure is low (so the hose water shoots right past it), but gets lodged in position under great suction power... I'm probably wrong, but this is frustrating in its stubborness.

Thanks,
David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.