Saltwater Pool Test Levels First Week, Suggestions??

Jun 9, 2016
Gig Harbor, WA
So this is our first pool and I've done a lot of reading while setting up and trying to do everything right to ensure success. Its an 18x9x48" coleman steel frame pool that holds 3,913Gal (at 90%). We just got it filled last sunday and I added about 2.5cups of bleach to get it going until the salt was dissolved and I could start the SWG. Our pump is an intex 3000GPH pump and the SWG is the larger intex one rated for up to 15,000 gal pools. I calculated 110# for the salt, and although I don't have a test yet for the salt levels, I haven't had any errors on the SWG. I also added 1# cya in a mesh bag in front of the return until it was dissolved. I initially started the SWG at 3hrs/day per the intex manual and the filter pump at 4hrs/day. I ran it this way for 2 days and my FC was up near 11 so I shut it down Wednesday night to let the chorine levels come down. Meanwhile my PH was down at around 6.8 so I added borax last night (24oz which is half of what the pool calculator told me to get it up to 7.5). I ran the pump alone all day today to help combine the borax. I also tested the FC last night and it had dropped to 6.5 so I was happy with that. Well, this evening the chlorine is somehow back up to 10 which I don't get unless it's somehow producing small quantities through the SWG without it being powered?? The PH on the other hand is up to 7.7.
Here are my readings from this evening, any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Mike

FC: 9.5/10
CC: 0
PH: 7.7
TA: 120
TH: 50 (soft water here, plus maybe the salt??)
CYA: 70
Test kit: Taylor K2006

It looks like you SWG got turned on somehow, no issues :) Your PH will rise with TA of 120, do you have MA to take it down, it will take your PH and TA down, just drop it to 7.2..

everything else looks great :)

Thanks for the reply Casey. So my target ph should be 7.2, which tells me to use 10oz MA. Can't figure out what that will leave my TA at, should it be under 100 or what am I hoping for as a target? Also do you think the low hardness will be any problem? Thanks!
Mike

TH/CH is not a prob for vinyl.. just concentrate on keeping your PH below 7.8, each time dropping it to 7.2.. as you keep doing this your pool will get to a point where it is longer and longer before MA is needed, your TA is dropping and you will get to a point where your TA and PH will stabilize :) (I have not added MA since opening, my TA is at 60 and my PH is at 7.5) your numbers will be different as every pool has its own levels..

Great, thanks for all the info. I added 6 of the 10oz of ma just now with the pump running. I also added some clarifier because I have some iron in the water which turned a yellow tint when I started using the swg. I'll retest after the ma has had some time to circulate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.