220v from 110v???

Jul 22, 2016
San Francisco
I am in a panic. The situation is I turned off the circuitto my pool pump and when I turned it back on I get no power. The timer and pump(Intermatic T104R3) and Hayward are clearly 220v. It seems my circuit is only a 110v. I havenever opened this box before. How would anyone have rigged this? 2 110v? I turned off the circuit marked poolpump verifying that did turn off the pump but as I said its only 110v.
Photo of my circuit box:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505578@N08/shares/Jp53v0
Thanks so much in advance if you can help

Which pump do you have, many are convertible to run on 110 or 220 depending on how the wires are connected or how a jumper is placed inside the motor.

Ike

p.s. the Intermatic T104R3 is a double pole single through timer switch, so would be used on either 110 or 220V connection

The T104R3 clock motor takes 240 volts. Therefore, for it to work properly, it needs 240 volts from a 240 breaker. It would not make sense for the pump to be wired 120 volts if the supply is from a 240 volt breaker.

Can you post pictures of the motor wiring and the timer wiring?

Most likely, the breaker is mislabeled or wired incorrectly. The breakers look really old. Probably time to have an electrician check the power supply.

Looks like a Pushmatic Circuit Breaker made by Bulldog Electric Products of Los Angeles.

I am in a panic. The situation is I turned off the circuitto my pool pump and when I turned it back on I get no power. The timer and pump(Intermatic T104R3) and Hayward are clearly 220v. It seems my circuit is only a 110v. I havenever opened this box before. How would anyone have rigged this? 2 110v? I turned off the circuit marked poolpump verifying that did turn off the pump but as I said its only 110v.
Photo of my circuit box:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/145505578@N08/shares/Jp53v0
Thanks so much in advance if you can help

looks like one of 2 'lines' didn't turn on. Usually 2 'phase' lines come to a residence, 110V each but their sine waves are exactly opposite. When load is wired between them it gets twice the voltage- 220V. It seems one of those lines didn't get power back after you turned the switch 'on'. Have you tried to turn it of/on couple more times?

If your pump is 240 then you have a somewhat dangerous installation there. The breaker labeled pool pump is only a single pole breaker so it cannot supply 240v by itself but could feed half of the circuit.

L1 is connected to the single pole breaker labeled pool pump but they have most likely piggybacked L2 onto another separate breaker in the panel. This is a problem because the breakers are not handle tied together. You shut off the labeled breaker and think you are safe, meanwhile the other line is still being fed by the separate breaker.

Most likely what happened is the circuit used to be 120v and was converted to 240 by a homeowner or some other unqualified person. This happens a lot unfortunately.

Turning off the single pole breaker does interrupt the circuit and stop the pump because it no longer is getting 240v, but if you were to test the wiring at the pump or pump receptacle you will surely find one of the wires still has 120v.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.