Running Above Ground Pool Pipes Underground

RyanOC

Jul 22, 2016
Brandon, FL
I leveled out an area in my back yard and have a 12 foot above ground pool ready to go and then realized that I am not supposed to use an extension cord. I was going to have a GFCI plug ran out the the back corner of my back yard, but then I though about running some pvc pipe underground for about 30-40 feet to keep the pump close to the hose and an existing GFCI plug. I was only concerned it I would have any suction problems that would overwork the pump. The pump I have is 1,500 gph and it would be nice to have it away from the pool anyway. It would be a lot cheaper to run pvc myself as opposed to having an electrician run a new circuit from the box and underground too.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

Welcome to TFP :)

you have a little work in front of you..

That 1500 intex pump will not be enough, even if it's 4 feet away, most replace it within a season... you do have a couple choices that should work for you..

3200 GPH, this is the most powerful pump intex makes...
Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2150 GPH System Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

this pump would be a rock star for what you need and save you money :) 70GPM/4200GPH but it is a 2 speed pump, way more efficient..
Amazon.com : Energy Efficient 2 Speed Pump for In-Ground Swimming Pool 0.75 HP-115V : Patio, Lawn Garden

you would need these connections for the pump
Praher UNION, 1-1/2 SLIP, HIGH TEMP (215-906) - INYOPools.com 1.5 inch to 2 inch pipe
Praher UNION, 1-1/2 SLIP, HIGH TEMP (150-906) - INYOPools.com 1.5 inch to 1.5 inch pipe

you can change your returns and suction to these and add a skimmer in the pool..
1-1/2Fpt Thru W/Nut-White-Bagged Individually (400-9170B) - INYOPools.com with the thru wall, you can use 4 of the pump connections above to connect exactly like I did

or you can get the slip type
1-1/2S W/Nut-Gray-Bagged Individually (400-9157B) - INYOPools.com

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

I did exactly the same thing you are wanting to do, I just used all in ground equipment as I am going to get one in a few years :) click my install link below and you can see all the steps and unions I used :)

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I talked to a friend yesterday that is into a lot of home construction, and he said it wouldn't be a problem. So I bought 100 feet of 2" pvc and started digging a trench today! I'm half done and the second half should be a little easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.