Could stained steps cause problems?

Ms Flo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2008
Southern In
A friend gave us a set of wedding cake steps. Some sort of stain has been spilled on them. My husband was able to get off everything that was still "tacky", but there are still areas where the steps seem to have completely absorbed the pigment. If we put the steps in as-is, what are the chances they might cause problems with the pool (liner, water chemistry, etc.)? I wondered about painting and/or sealing them, but I have no idea what would be appropriate to use. I've seen special paints for in-ground pools. Is there something out there for this sort of thing? Any suggestions on how to just clean the steps more thoroughly? My husband tried RV awning cleaner, mold "root" cleaner, & straight bleach--separately of course!

Wish I knew how to attach a picture... :scratch:

Ms Flo said:
Wish I knew how to attach a picture...

To attach a photo, you could open a free Photobucket.com account. Upload your photos to their site using their instructions. Once there, you copy the "IMG code" they give each pic, and paste that code into your message here, and the pic will appear.

Thanks Jason! That's very reassuring. My husband has decided to try sanding the flat surfaces of the steps. When he gets tired of that, we'll put them in. 8)
Butterfly, thanks for the photo info.
Thanks to everyone who has posted tips for weighting & cleaning wedding cake steps.
:goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.