Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could stained steps cause problems?

1. Back To Top    #1

Could stained steps cause problems?

A friend gave us a set of wedding cake steps. Some sort of stain has been spilled on them. My husband was able to get off everything that was still "tacky", but there are still areas where the steps seem to have completely absorbed the pigment. If we put the steps in as-is, what are the chances they might cause problems with the pool (liner, water chemistry, etc.)? I wondered about painting and/or sealing them, but I have no idea what would be appropriate to use. I've seen special paints for in-ground pools. Is there something out there for this sort of thing? Any suggestions on how to just clean the steps more thoroughly? My husband tried RV awning cleaner, mold "root" cleaner, & straight bleach--separately of course!

Wish I knew how to attach a picture...
    16x32x4.5 AG Doughboy -- 14,000 gal according to pool store
    Hayward equipment -- 1.5 HP pump, 20 GPM/FT2 sand filter, & chlorine feeder (light feeder use to avoid CYA build-up)
    Testing equipment -- TFTestKit Guidelines for treating water -- The Pool Calculator
    Thanks for everything TROUBLE FREE POOL!!!
    :goodjob:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could stained steps cause problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Flo
    Wish I knew how to attach a picture...
    To attach a photo, you could open a free Photobucket.com account. Upload your photos to their site using their instructions. Once there, you copy the "IMG code" they give each pic, and paste that code into your message here, and the pic will appear.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

They will be fine. If you gave them a good cleaning first, there shouldn't be enough of anything left on them to affect the rest of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason! That's very reassuring. My husband has decided to try sanding the flat surfaces of the steps. When he gets tired of that, we'll put them in. 8)
    Butterfly, thanks for the photo info.
    Thanks to everyone who has posted tips for weighting & cleaning wedding cake steps.
    16x32x4.5 AG Doughboy -- 14,000 gal according to pool store
    Hayward equipment -- 1.5 HP pump, 20 GPM/FT2 sand filter, & chlorine feeder (light feeder use to avoid CYA build-up)
    Testing equipment -- TFTestKit Guidelines for treating water -- The Pool Calculator
    Thanks for everything TROUBLE FREE POOL!!!
    :goodjob: