Do I chlorinate while SWG is being replaced?

May 10, 2014
Annapolis
My Intex Krystal Clear SWG died unexpectedly. It will take 10-20 days for them to replace; how do I maintain chlorine levels in the meantime? How many tabs? How often? I have the testing strips and Total chlorine and FC was low (0.5 ppm) PH 7.2.

Pool is 22x52 above ground pool with sand filter.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

No tabs unless your CYA is low. Get some regular household bleach not splashless or scented. Or you can get stronger liquid chlorine from many hardware stores or the pool store it is all the same thing just in different strengths. Household bleach is 8.25%, pool liquid chlorine is either 10% or 12.5% it will say on the jug. You can use pool math link at the top of the page to determine how much to add once you put the volume of your pool.

Just so you know the strips aren't all that accurate a good quality test kit can make a world of difference. The kits we recommend are listed in Pool School I believe the TF-100 in my signature is the best

Thank you. The CYA is also low and this morning it appears the PH has also dropped to 6.8 (again that's according to the strips). I will repost numbers once I get the appropriate testing kit. I am a bit nervous about the water because we planned to swim today given our temps will top out at 105! Will the addition of the 10% liquid chlorine help to increase PH or do I have to add soda ash for that and the liquid chlorine? Not having any of these issues until now I am not sure what to do or which one to adjust first. Then how long before we can swim if I add any of the chemicals?

Thanks!!

Liquid chlorine will not affect the pH, you will need to use the soda ash, or even easier because you can get it at any grocery store - Borax. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return. If your pump is not working then brush it around to mix well. Use Pool Math to calculate your needed addition.

Do not use pucks, even if your CYA is low - pucks (trichlor) is/are very acidic and they push the pH down even further than it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.