New build - Buffalo NY

lumpy19,

You may want to check with your homeowners insurance company regarding the jump points. I have a simple 9" high dive rock and several companies have refused to give me a quote because of it. they consider it to be similar to a diving board. Other insurance companies may charge you extra for it.
. My insurance agent told me when I was first looking at features that the key to jump rocks is not to call them that. It's just the design and where the waterfall comes out. [emoji6]

Wow bdavis!! Those renderings look great! Does it let you do much with decking also or just basic shapes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi lumpy! Kim pointed me to your thread! This part is fun AND stressful wanting to get it just right. Lol. I think the location you picked is perfect. I wouldn't want to take up all of the yard space either.

I have 6 year twins and lots of friends with young children. We built a large sunshelf with bubblers for them to play on and they just got to play for the first time yesterday. It was a blast and I wouldn't change a thing about our shelf. It's 9" deep and 104 square feet. We can fit at least 2 lounge chairs on it, maybe 3, but it is an amazing play space without chairs. Even us adults were loving it surprisingly. My kids spent most of their time on the shelf and running around the spa yesterday so if you have littles I recommend a good sized shelf and 9" turned out to be an excellent depth. I was warned the bubblers may not bubble enough but they were awesome once we split the flow of water from the sheers.

My pool also has a staircase with low rise steps, lots of benches, and a built in table if you want to check it out and see some other potential features. I'll be updating it with new pictures as soon as I catch up on all the builds I'm following. Tapatalk wasn't working and now I'm a day behind. [emoji5] So much fun!

Thanks for the input, we're either going 9" or 12", leaning towards 12" right now. Our sunshelf is 96sf so close to the same size.

- - - Updated - - -

Throw some ideas at me...I'm shooting from the hip here

I think the only thing I'd change is coming off the corner of the sidewalk instead of the corner of the patio.....I don't know how to fence off the pool if I come off the corner of the patio. I like coming off the patio but it eats up a lot of yard.

The operator is the limiting factor with these types of programs. I'm still relatively new to this one and have a lot to learn.

There are people that can design things so well that you can't tell the difference between a computer-generated model and an actual photograph.

I don't mind helping people out if I have the time but to really sit down and hammer something out like that would probably require more of a time investment then I could realistically offer. I've been doing this recently to get better at designing pools because that's not what this program is intended to make and requires several work-arounds. I do a good deal of additions / remodel / custom homes which is much more what this program is suited for.

Thanks for the input, we're either going 9" or 12", leaning towards 12" right now. Our sunshelf is 96sf so close to the same size.

When I was trying to decide it was between 9" and 12" also. Get a tape measure and measure both depths on yourself and on your kids both standing and sitting. That will show you where the water level will be for everyone. Also, if you have bubblers, they will work better in the 9". I just checked mine on full flow and if the water was 3" higher they wouldn't be as visible.

The operator is the limiting factor with these types of programs. I'm still relatively new to this one and have a lot to learn.

There are people that can design things so well that you can't tell the difference between a computer-generated model and an actual photograph.

I don't mind helping people out if I have the time but to really sit down and hammer something out like that would probably require more of a time investment then I could realistically offer. I've been doing this recently to get better at designing pools because that's not what this program is intended to make and requires several work-arounds. I do a good deal of additions / remodel / custom homes which is much more what this program is suited for.

What program are you using? What file formats does it save in? I use Autodesk inventor at work to develop industrial machinery, wondering if it could open the files you're generating.

Just signed my contract, no turning back now!

Chief Architect X8

I can export as DXF, DWG, etc. You can have the file if you want it just let me know the format and the email address to send it to.

I thought everyone used SolidWorks for the machining industry?

I like inventor better for machine design. I used solid works when I did automotive tooling, solid works handles the complex geometry a little better.

Let me read up on chief architect x8.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ended up going with the heat pump but upsizing to the pentair ultra temp 120(pb had quoted the 90) when I pressed him he admitted he hadn't sized the heat pump, the 90 is just the one he ordered for his other builds. Running the gas heater in my situation was a bit of a mess, needed gas company to install additional service(upgrade from 250k BTU to 400k/450k btu) and then had to run a larger line thru the ceiling of my finished basement and after that the pb said the gas heater was the same price which I know is incorrect.

The contract I signed had the price for the 90 but spec'd the 120, hoping it stays that way.

Also he recommended 12" depth on the sun shelf and I was leaning that way anyway so that's settled.

Waiting on permits now, should be digging by mid August.

Excavation scheduled to start this week(possibly tomorrow depending on weather))
Gunite scheduled for next week

Got the swingset moved, really happy with how it turned out and kids love their new area

Anyone ever flush mounted their trampoline? I've read a few DIY articles about doing it online, I think it's an awesome idea. PB said he'd charge me $100 to dig the hole and remove the dirt when he's here for excavation and I'm tempted to jump on it but hate for him to lose focus on the main goal which is the pool. Also some reservations about not liking it and having a huge hole in the yard.

Have heard of it BUT what about when the kids outgrow it? What if they really get into jumping on it and they jump so big that they hit the bottom of the hole? What about water drainage out of the hole? Seems as if too many negatives to me......

That play set looks awesome there! Did you put down the rubber? That stuff is NICE!

Have they painted the pool on your yard yet?

:kim:

I ended up going with the heat pump but upsizing to the pentair ultra temp 120(pb had quoted the 90) when I pressed him he admitted he hadn't sized the heat pump, the 90 is just the one he ordered for his other builds. Running the gas heater in my situation was a bit of a mess, needed gas company to install additional service(upgrade from 250k BTU to 400k/450k btu) and then had to run a larger line thru the ceiling of my finished basement and after that the pb said the gas heater was the same price which I know is incorrect.

The contract I signed had the price for the 90 but spec'd the 120, hoping it stays that way.

Also he recommended 12" depth on the sun shelf and I was leaning that way anyway so that's settled.

Waiting on permits now, should be digging by mid August.

Research what chairs you are doing for the wetdeck/sun shelf... the ones I have looked at have a maximum depth of 12" so if you are trying for 12 and end up more.. could be a problem...

My deck is 8-9" mainly because it is the recommended depth for the wet chairs... and I have some friends that have these, and all are about the same 8-9"...

Not to mention the bubblers as Twinkiesmommie stated

Just another thought to throw in there...

No chairs for the sun shelf, it'll have more use for the kids and for the adults dipping their feet in(I think) wife has no interest in putting chairs in and I don't either so it's not something we worried about.

- - - Updated - - -

Have heard of it BUT what about when the kids outgrow it? What if they really get into jumping on it and they jump so big that they hit the bottom of the hole? What about water drainage out of the hole? Seems as if too many negatives to me......

That play set looks awesome there! Did you put down the rubber? That stuff is NICE!

Have they painted the pool on your yard yet?

Don't tell anybody but the trampoline is actually mine, wife got it for me for my 30th bday long before we had kids.

Yes that's rubber mulch(138 bags of it). Expensive up front but lasts forever, safe and best of all I don't have to refresh it every year.

LOL A man after my own heart! I LOVE a good bounce house and go over to a friends house often to use their trampoline!

So take a GOOD, deep bounce on it and see how close to the ground you get on the down side. THAT will answer your question.

No chairs for the sun shelf, it'll have more use for the kids and for the adults dipping their feet in(I think) wife has no interest in putting chairs in and I don't either so it's not something we worried about.

One more thing to think about is code. I am sure your PB will make it apply... in Vegas the total step can't be more than 11 inches... so assuming 1.5 in of coping, 3 inches of tile above water line, leaves a max depth of water at 6.5 inches, I can raise it to 7.5 inches by keeping the pool a bit full. So you may need a step down into the 12 inches of water...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.