OK to use Fernco on pump outlet?

May 16, 2011
PA
The 2" threaded joint leaving my Hayward SuperPump is leaking badly (suddenly, after 4 years). All PVC is glued from there to filter.

The only way I can see to fix it is to cut the PVC, so I can take out the threaded fitting, check for cracks, clean, lube, and reseat.

Is it acceptable to use a Fernco coupling over the PVC cut? There already are a bunch of glued joints in tight proximity, so it's going to be tough to find a place to splice in another glue union....

Attachments

• DSC06019.jpg
    DSC06019.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 52
I wouldn't. The rubber fernco will deteriorate and split or slip apart at some point. Guaranteed it will always happen at the wrong time, like when you are sleeping, at work or out of town. These are not good for a pressure application and could cost you a significant amount of your water when it does come apart. If there is enough room to use a fernco, there's probably enough room to glue in a union.

If not, PVC is super easy to work with, just cut the pipe off and replace the whole section to get all those extra joints out of the line. Then add in a PVC union fitting so the pipe does not need to be cut every time you have to take it apart, that's the way it should have been done to start with.

They make a tool that will cut the PVC pipe out of a fitting or to remove a fitting cleanly from a pipe, but because the pipe is so easy to just cut out and replace these tools are expensive and not very common. In select situations they can be a real lifesaver though.

My suggestion as well would be to get the following union fitting for the pump. It has an o-ring to eliminate leaks and you can take it apart again if needed. It looks as if you have enough vertical pipe to glue to the union fitting.

2in CPVC Pump Union with O-ring

The link I provided is only for reference. I am sure that there are better prices available on the union and while you are there repairing the discharge side, you may as well put one on the suction side as well.

Opposed to Dsmith's view, I wouldn't have a problem using a Fernco coupling. As long as you understand what could happen, and are willing to assume the risk, go for it. There are probably hundreds of those couplings on pools everywhere. I have one on my plumbing and have had for years. Be sure to check the clamps once in a while.

I know they're not rated for pressure, but pool pumps don't see much pressure anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

After saying all that, I do like the union that Griffths posted. It would be better than the Fernco.

+1 for Griffiths' find. I'm going to look for a proper union. I just got the leaking MIP-threaded PVC out of there and it turns out it's 1.5" thread with a 2" hub.

And what I can't understand is why it started leaking: There are no visible cracks on either side, and the threads are still caked in pipe dope. It's not like it was a little leak, either. With the pump on it was a steady stream of water through the threads!

I did have the pump running dry earlier this week when another pipe joint failed and I didn't notice it before it drained the pool below the skimmers. I wonder if the Hayward can generate enough heat, or maybe vibration, running dry to open up threads without cracking anything?

I did have the pump running dry earlier this week when another pipe joint failed and I didn't notice it before it drained the pool below the skimmers. I wonder if the Hayward can generate enough heat, or maybe vibration, running dry to open up threads without cracking anything?

That is exactly what often happens when a pump is run dry...

Jim R.

I don't know for sure. When it happened to me at a rent house, I replaced the entire single speed pump with a new VS pump, and I used unions similar to what Griffths recommended above. It is sad for me to see new pumps being installed without unions by cheap pool builders.

I suspect that taking the connection apart, using new thread lube, and retightening would work, but I'll never install another pump without unions.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.