Circulation problem in large Intex frame pool

Jul 22, 2016
Waco, Nebraska
Long time reader, first time poster.....

We have an INTEX above ground pool - one of the big ones. 32' x 16' x 52" -- this is our third season with it. We seem to have figured out most of our problems but have one remaining -- the circulation of the factory pool inlet and return just don't seem to be satisfactory. (There's just one return about 1/3 away from the end of the pool.) On the side of the pool where the return is, everything seems fine, except the far corner. However, on the other end of the pool, we have a pretty massive build-up of gunk on the bottom of the pool.

So, my question - is there some way to improve circulation? We did replace the stock cartridge filter and pump with a 3/4 HP 2800GPH sand filter, which really improved the water flow. Perhaps it's just not enough?

I was wondering if there's some sort of water or air circulation gadget of some kind that could be added to the other side of the pool, even if just while not in use, to keep the water moving around a bit? Maybe I just need to get a robot?

Your thoughts are welcomed. Thank you to those who have posted so many great tips about pool care in the past - the information has been very useful.

Long time reader, first time poster.....

We have an INTEX above ground pool - one of the big ones. 32' x 16' x 52" -- this is our third season with it. We seem to have figured out most of our problems but have one remaining -- the circulation of the factory pool inlet and return just don't seem to be satisfactory. (There's just one return about 1/3 away from the end of the pool.) On the side of the pool where the return is, everything seems fine, except the far corner. However, on the other end of the pool, we have a pretty massive build-up of gunk on the bottom of the pool.

So, my question - is there some way to improve circulation? We did replace the stock cartridge filter and pump with a 3/4 HP 2800GPH sand filter, which really improved the water flow. Perhaps it's just not enough?

I was wondering if there's some sort of water or air circulation gadget of some kind that could be added to the other side of the pool, even if just while not in use, to keep the water moving around a bit? Maybe I just need to get a robot?

Your thoughts are welcomed. Thank you to those who have posted so many great tips about pool care in the past - the information has been very useful.

I'm thinking of plumbing another return outlet around the other side of my pool near my stairs.It would help with the circulation slowing down.
I think a second outlet plumbed near your problem area would help.
I have a lil' shark vacuum that I leave in the pool most of the time to help with junk on the floor.

After some more digging (and scraping) I determined what's been going on. Our well water is super high in alkalinity. What was happening was we were getting build-up/stains from that on the pool floor and walls - and then the algae would come in and have something to bind on to. The algae can be prevented with FC staying high enough, which mine wasn't, and the scaling is falling off now that we're getting the chemicals right. Circulation on one end of the pool still stinks, but I think with the water being more balanced, it's not going to be as big as an issue. Crossing my fingers....just drained the pool and started over, armed with knowledge gained from TFP. :p

One option would be to add a through the wall skimmer. Then either re-purpose the old suction hole as a return or use it as a 2nd suction line and add an additional return line.

FYI, if was not the TA scaling ... that was just coupling with possible high CH and pH to allow calcium scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.