CYA Test

gerg

Jul 18, 2016
Philly Suburbs
I'm closing on a house with a pool on Tuesday. Last night we did a walkthrough and I snagged a sample of the pool water. I ran the CYA test as described in my Taylor k-2006 kit but nothing seemed to happen. It sounds like the dot is supposed to disappear because the solution should be cloudy...but mine wasn't cloudy at all after I shook it up. Does it make sense that there would be no CYA in there or did I screw something up? I also didn't get anything showing up on the chlorine test if it's relevant.

Welcome to TFP

:party:

It sounds like you have no cya and no chlorine in the pool.

So use pool math (above) to figure out how much chlorine to add to bring it up to a good level and then add that much chlorine then retest.

Once the chlorine is ok then work on adjusting the CYA by adding 1/2 the amount you need to get it to where you want. Say ---- 40 in Philly.

Hang the cya in a sock over a return and it will dissolve over a few days and retest. Repeat till you are at 40. Then adjust chlorine for 40.

Oh and read the ABCs of pool water chem in Pool School above.

Oh I forgot -- go swim in the pool and get off the interweb!

Welcome to TFP

:party:

It sounds like you have no cya and no chlorine in the pool.

So use pool math (above) to figure out how much chlorine to add to bring it up to a good level and then add that much chlorine then retest.

Once the chlorine is ok then work on adjusting the CYA by adding 1/2 the amount you need to get it to where you want. Say ---- 40 in Philly.

Hang the cya in a sock over a return and it will dissolve over a few days and retest. Repeat till you are at 40. Then adjust chlorine for 40.

Oh and read the ABCs of pool water chem in Pool School above.

Oh I forgot -- go swim in the pool and get off the interweb!

Ok, thanks will give that all a shot once I take possession on Tuesday. Hopefully the seller adds some chlorine and it's not a swamp when I take over!!

With no CYA it's understandable that there was also no FC.

Was there any cloudiness in the solution after shaking and waiting 30 seconds?

Did you perform the test something like this? Testing Cyanuric Acid with the TF-100 - YouTube

I know that's a different kit - but same general idea.

I performed the test like that but the sample did not turn cloudy after shaking...so I guess it's 0 then. I was just a little confused because the chlorine and CYA were reading 0 but the water was crystal clear.

Any chance they recently replaced the water and have yet to add stabilizer? How is the pool chlorinated?

I guess it's possible. There wasn't any automatic dispenser or anything like that and there were no pucks in the skimmer or filter basket. There were a couple bottles of ph stuff and some DE for the filter in the shed, but no chlorine of any variety. The seller moved out two weeks ago, so I'm not exactly clear on who has been maintaining the pool. I was surprised to find it so clear tbh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.