Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So I've been SLAMming the past 3 days and it has been coming along very well. CC's are <.5, water crystal clear, OCLT 2 nights ago was 1.5ppm FC loss. After another day of maintaining yesterday I was about sure I'd be done. I ran the OCLT again last and this morning my FC measured 24.5, down from 26 last night. Again, 1.5ppm. But I did find a dead frog in the skimmer. Question is, could that throw off the OCLT? And should I keep maintaining? Or maybe let the FC drift down a little and go back to SLAM level this evening? 90+ today and the kids have been dying to swim.

The water is safe for swimming when:
1. you can see the bottom everywhere in the pool (swimmer safety)
2. pH is between 7.2 and 7.8
3. FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA level, per: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

We like to keep our pools available for swimming!!!

Tell 'em to bomb it!

Your active chlorine level, even at shock level, is lower that any well-run indoor commercial or institutional pool with zero CYA. Of course, you must be reasonably sure of your CYA level, and recognize that the test has some error. I see your SLAMing at shock level of 28, so I assume your CYA is 70. Say it was 60 to be way on the safe side, swim at 24. All good. If you don't believe it, be the guinea pig, dive in yourself, swim underwater eyes open. You won't feel a thing.

Just remove the frog, not a big deal and would have theoretically had an impact on FC, yep. Probably not much though.

Finding a frog so quickly probably did little to effect your FC. I would continue the SLAM and be sure to pass an OCLT. But as long as your FC is not over the SLAM level, let the kids jump in. :swim: Make sure they each have a brush to scrub the pool while they're at it. :p Have a nice weekend.

Thanks for the tips! I will let the FC drop a bit for the day, let them swim, and SLAM it again later in the evening and hope the OCLT goes better tonight!
As for my CYA, the best I could tell it was maybe a tad over 60 but not 70. Hence my SLAM target of 26.

Not completely done with the SLAM, but let the FC drop a little so the kids could swim. Here are pics from 3 days ago (pre-SLAM) and just now.
I've learned so much from this invaluable site and it's users and look forward to helping others where I can.

20160719_071520.jpg

20160722_154105.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking terrific! The rocks can deserve a little extra attention with some diluted bleach in a spray bottle. Maybe some scrubbing depending what you think it needs. That's a very nice pool :)

Did you know you can become a supporter? It's a modest one-time donation that helps us keep the lights on around here. It's tax-deductible and comes with some other perks as well. No pressure, you'll get help either way. There's a link in my signature.

Thanks jet! Was my first SLAM and 2nd season with the pool. Amazing what household bleach does. Especially with the shelves and shelves of "stuff" the pool stores try to push on you. Will definitely look into supporting the site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.