aeration from water source other than pool?

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
I've seen several DIY versions of those fountain/aerators that attach to one of the pool returns but was wondering if you'd get a similar effect by hooking something up to a sprinkler system zone running along the backside of the pool? I assume that would add some additional water chemistry concerns since it would be introducing tap/sprinkler water into the pool but is there any added benefit for aerating water from the pool and introducing that back into the water vs aerating water from a nearby sprinkler line and directing that into the pool? from a ease-of-use perspective it might be easier for me to construct something from PVC and leave it attached to a dedicated sprinkler system zone behind the raised beam and run that overnight vs attaching 1-2 PVC fountains to a return and having to connect/disconnect them (however trivial that task might be) on a nightly/daily basis when we're using the pool and wanting the PVC fountains up and out of the way when actively swimming. aside from my laziness, any reason why the two approaches would yield drastically different results?

Well, if you are using tap water the PH could be off enough to not have any gain in aerating. When using the pool water you are dropping the PH of it by aerating the same water continuously, not new water. Can you T your return with a shutoff so you can easily control the fountain instead? Mine is T'd to run water through a pair of solar panels.

You didn't say what you were trying to accomplish, raise PH or lower pool temperatures. Aeration does both.

But assuming you are trying to raise PH:

For raising PH, the benefit of using the pool water vs added water is that the water that is in the air, is also releasing CO2 where as the water your adding probably isn't. Also, is the water you are adding high in TA and PH like mine? That would be self defeating.

The most convenient form of aeration is natural aeration. You don't have to do anything. Of course it is the slowest method but what is the hurry? If you have chronically high TA as I do, an acid feeder may be a better approach. You use the same amount of acid either way.

sorry. should have been clearer. goal is to lower water temp overnight here in TX.
In that case, using the sprinkler would work fine and might even cool it faster push since evaporation is going to be increased, you are automatically filling the pool too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.