First time pool owner and my levels are all messed up

My family and I just purchased our first pool and got the water delivered 3 weeks ago and my levels are all off, I have been trying to adjust levels but it doesn't seem to be working. I figured maybe it was because I was using a 1500GPH Flowclear pump and it wasn't moving the water fast enough. I have purchased a 2,800GPH Intex sand filter pump and it is being delivered tomorrow. I'd like to start getting my levels adjusted but I don't know if I should start with specific chemical first and what order I should do them in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been using Clorox test strips and Clorox products. Below are my current levels.
FC: 0 ppm
TA: 180
PH: 6.8
TC: 0 ppm
CH: 500
CYA: 0 ppm

Re: First time pool owner trying to figure out how to maintain levels

Thanks, I will be glad to understand all of this pool stuff. I am using Clorox test strips and I have all of the Clorox chemicals. Below are my current test results.
FC: 0 ppm
TA: 180
PH: 6.8
TC: 0 ppm
CH: 500
CYA: 0 ppm

Hi Tiffany, welcome to TFP! Before you get started did you read all the articles in Pool School? How about basics in water chemistry? It sounds daunting but it is really easy and will get you up to speed on what we will be giving you advice on.

Pool School is where to start. Here is a basic starting steps.

What kind of test kit do you have?

1. Add Bleach using Pool Math to get it 4 ppm of FC. 4 is the target level for a CYA of 30 (see step 2).
2. Add enough CYA (stabilizer) using Pool Math to get it to 30 ppm. Hang it in front of the return in a sock or put it in a sock in your skimmer. Squeeze it every once in a while to help it dissolve. It will take at least 2 days but maybe 3 or 4 to dissolve and show up in the CYA test.
3. Adjust your PH to 7.5 using Pool Math.

Pool School is where to start. Here is a basic starting steps.

What kind of test kit do you have?

1. Add Bleach using Pool Math to get it 4 ppm of FC. 4 is the target level for a CYA of 30 (see step 2).
2. Add enough CYA (stabilizer) using Pool Math to get it to 30 ppm. Hang it in front of the return in a sock or put it in a sock in your skimmer. Squeeze it every once in a while to help it dissolve. It will take at least 2 days but maybe 3 or 4 to dissolve and show up in the CYA test.
3. Adjust your PH to 7.5 using Pool Math.

Tiff,

When you do step 2 of the above, make sure you do a little less than what is called for. It is always best to follow the "less is more" motto for CYA. Don't ask me how I know. Thank goodness for splash out.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.