Intex Flow Reduction Adapter

Jul 21, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Hi All,

We just put up an Intex 18'x52" ultra frame with SWG and dual suction intake. Everything seems to be operating fine but we still need to install the skimmer. My question is...do you have to install the flow reduction adapter and if so does it go on the same intake that the skimmer is on or the other one? A secondary question is...when vacuuming does the vacuum get hooked up to the free intake or do you disconnect the skimmer hose and use that? This is my first post so if more info is needed let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: Cathyinww
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. Not sure if other readers were just thrown-off by the title and not sure if they could contribute. I've had above ground pools before, but not one as you described so I'm not totally familiar with the reduction adapter requirement. Honestly not sure what difference it makes to connect the vacuum as long as it goes to suction and there is a pump strainer basket before the pump to catch the debris. Hopefully some others will respond to help you some more. Nice to have you with us.

For Intex pools with the dual intakes you will use the flow reduction plug on the intake NOT attached to the Intex skimmer. This will allow the Intex skimmer to have enough suction to work properly. As for your second question, just disconnect the skimmer and use that intake or you won't have enough suction to vacuum. Leave the flow reduction plug installed on the other intake. I never remove it. The second intake is there for safety regulations to protect the manufacturer from lawsuits. It helps prevent a small child from becoming stuck to an intake due to suction and being held under water. The second intake prevents a total suction from happening. With the Intex Skimmer attached you've moved the point of suction to be above the water instead of being below the waterline. Intex also tells you to remove the skimmer when the pool is occupied and in use. Although I never do that. They also say you shouldn't run the pump while the pool is in use as well. That's just them covering their butts from lawsuits.

Welcome to the forum and get out there and enjoy that pool.

• Love
Reactions: Cathyinww
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.