Spa draining when pump off

RussellC

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
Austin, TX
My spillover spa is draining to just above the returns each night when the pump is off. Here is a pic of the return side:

There is the main neverlube valve, then 2 check valves. Not sure why there are 2? Can anyone explain my setup. I am a new pool owner but am very handy. Can anyone explain how to check these for leaks. How do you check these without water pouring all over the place?

The valve actuator on this side is not working, I will replace that this weekend. Could that be the problem? Or do you think it is the check valves? If so, which one?

Thanks for the help!

Looks like the builder Tee'd the pool return into the spa, the check valve on the bottom is the one that would prevent water siphoning back to pool. In the picture you have your pool return closed is this normal for you.

There are 2 check valves. Which one should I try first? The one on the vertical pipe to the right in the pic or the one in the horizontal T facing up? When I remove the valve cover with the pump off will it just gush water or will one or the other check valve prevent that?

If the spa is draining down when the valves are set as in the picture, I'd look at the horizontal check valve first.

Open the blue pool return valve first. You shouldn't get too much water when opening the check valve that way - the filter may drain down, but will hopefully flow toward the pool returns.

OK thanks. I know it doesn't look like it but that blue pool return valve is mostly open. They are installed opposite from what you would think. On the suction side, they are vertical when they are open, but on the return side they go horizontal when they are open.

Hmm, never seen that with those type valves - but I learn something new everyday.

You said the spa drains down to just above the return jets. Is the level it drains down to about equal in height to the horizontal pipe? If so, that would also lead me to look at the horizontal check valve first.

Oh, and the spa might drain down when you pull either check valve - and flow out of the housing at that point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.