Pentair Spabright?

Illupo

Jul 3, 2016
Scottsdale
After making remarkable strides through this forum as far as getting my spa jets working again, and balancing the water the TFP way, my last concern is my spa light. The bulb burnt out several years ago, but as no one really used it, it was never fixed. Last year I finally tried to get it out, but the single screw that holds it in place was stripped. I just did a complete drain and vowed to remove the light so that I could fix it.

I did not really want to drill the screw, but had to in order to get it out. I was expecting that it would have additional cord wrapped around the inside so that it could be moved to the pool deck to open it up. As you can see by the pictures attached, there is only 4 or 6 inches of cord which barely allows it to hang out of the niche. As you can see from the pictures, there was about a half inch of mud/rust/algae behind the light in the niche. After cleaning all of that out, and having to refill the pool, I simply put a new SS screw in the slot to hold it in place, but it still needs attention. Of course, the switch as well as the breaker have been turned off for safety. This light was, no doubt, installed originally with the entire pool mid 80s. I believe it to be a Pentair Spa Bright, but the back end does not look like the Spa Brights nowadays. The face plate, though, seems identical except this one has a "pebble" finish and the new ones appear to be smooth SS.

Can anyone confirm my ID as a Pentair Spa Bright? I am not thrilled at the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a new light, I was hoping to remove it to the deck and replace the bulb and gasket and put it back into operation. After seeing the corrosion inside though, I kind of feel the fixture is a total loss and a new one is in order. Since I did not open the housing, I don't really know how it is wired internally. The thick, grey cord coming out the back probably consists of a few wires that attach to different contact, I presume. Can anyone direct me how best to proceed? I am an accomplished DYI guy and have done all the electrical work around the house. I was just surprised to see that instead of the 4 or 5 feet of cord allowing the fixture to be removed to the deck that there was only 6 " or so.

View attachment 52411View attachment 52412

OK...I found the junction box. Funny, I never knew what that was for. I now see that it has the same greek key design on it as does the face plate of the light. So, in order to change this light, I need to disconnect the wires from the junction box, and pull them through the conduit underground, under the boulder and deck, then hope that a new wire would fish through the conduit, back some 12 feet or so to the junction box? I was hoping there was a way to connect the new light right there at the niche.

Do you know of just a plain, stainless steel cover that I can remove this corroded fixture, then cover the niche until I have the chance to get into this project?

View attachment 52431View attachment 52432

You should attach a nylon string or fishtape to the wires before pulling out. Some tech's cut the light cord at the lite and connect new cord to it and pull throughhttp://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72906-Changing-light-cannot-pull-wire-out

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.