1st time pool owner - Drain and refill or filter/clean?

We bought a short sale property, closed in February and moved in over July 4th weekend. Now it's time to tackle the pool. The previous owners took the pump/filter before they moved out. I'm not entirely sure how long the pool has been empty, but when we first made the offer on the house in August 2015 there was no pool equipment. So the pool has been sitting neglected for at least 1 year, but my guess is close to 2 years.

Where do I start? Is the pool salvageable? Do I need to drain the pool and start over? Drain some of the water? What is a conservative estimate to get this pool up and running between the pump/filter, test kits, chemicals, and other items needed. $1k? $2k? Looking for recommendations on products, information on pump/filters, or anything I need to know.

Now for the pictures:

20160720_190244.jpg

20160720_190246.jpg

20160720_190357.jpg

20160720_185555.jpg

20160720_185605.jpg

20160720_185733.jpg

20160720_185533.jpg

20160720_185539.jpg

20160720_185547.jpg

20160720_190357.jpg

20160720_185319.jpg

20160720_185324.jpg

20160720_185338.jpg

20160720_185349.jpg

Re: 1st time pool owner - No pump/filter and water is black/green

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a project there!! But you are in the right place.

While waiting for someone to chime in on the equipment, head over to Pool School and start reading. Get a good test kit on order, preferably a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net with the XL option and Speedstir but the Taylor K-2006C can be had from Amazon as well. You're going to do a lot of chlorine tests over the next few weeks, that's why I suggest the TF-100 with XL option. More of the reagents you are going to need.

Getting Started Go here to learn how to update your signature with all pertinent information on your pool and location.
Pool School - ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry Learn what chemicals are used and what they do.
SLAM Because you are going to need to SLAM that green monster into submission!
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I would go ahead and get the cover off the pool so you can get a good assessment of the condition and go stock up on liquid chlorine aka bleach. You're going to need a lot so get 20 gallons or so to start.

Looks like the liner has streched or pulled lose in one of the pics. If I were you I would get the pump and filter first before messing with the water. If your handy with PVC and glue, hard plumb the pipes. If you can save the liner you should be able to get it going for about $1,300 depending on what type of filter and pump I'm guessing.

This is the filter I have, you could start with something like this-
https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S210...83&sr=8-3&keywords=pool+pump+and+filter+combo

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a project there!! But you are in the right place.

While waiting for someone to chime in on the equipment, head over to Pool School and start reading. Get a good test kit on order, preferably a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net with the XL option and Speedstir but the Taylor K-2006C can be had from Amazon as well. You're going to do a lot of chlorine tests over the next few weeks, that's why I suggest the TF-100 with XL option. More of the reagents you are going to need.

Getting Started Go here to learn how to update your signature with all pertinent information on your pool and location.
Pool School - ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry Learn what chemicals are used and what they do.
SLAM Because you are going to need to SLAM that green monster into submission!
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I would go ahead and get the cover off the pool so you can get a good assessment of the condition and go stock up on liquid chlorine aka bleach. You're going to need a lot so get 20 gallons or so to start.

Going to try and get to that on Sunday and take the covers off. Might pick up a skimmer and start skimming out the junk sitting on the surface.

Looks like the liner has streched or pulled lose in one of the pics. If I were you I would get the pump and filter first before messing with the water. If your handy with PVC and glue, hard plumb the pipes. If you can save the liner you should be able to get it going for about $1,300 depending on what type of filter and pump I'm guessing.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S210...83&sr=8-3&keywords=pool+pump+and+filter+combo

What happens when the liner stretches/pulls loose? Is that something fixable or would we need a new liner? If it's just an aesthetic thing, I am fine with it looking that way. I should be able to plumb the pipes myself, but if not I have someone who can do that for me. I'm going to try and decide on a pump/filter in the next few days.

I'm thinking a 2HP pump would be overkill, right? Been meaning to measure the pool but haven't had time.

Depends on the capacity of your pool.. I have 13500 gal and my 1hp pump is overkill... turns over all of it in just over 4 hours...

- - - Updated - - -

What happens when the liner stretches/pulls loose? Is that something fixable or would we need a new liner? If it's just an aesthetic thing, I am fine with it looking that way. I should be able to plumb the pipes myself, but if not I have someone who can do that for me. I'm going to try and decide on a pump/filter in the next few days.

Might be able to pull the caps and rails off in that area and take a look... Maybe its just came a little loose and you can pull it back up...

From the looks of that water, the liner and the grass growing out of the deflated pillow it might be a good idea to just drain the pool, fix the liner and start with a fresh fill.

I looked under the lid (on the outside of the pool) and the liner seems to have the same amount of overhang all the way around the pool. Not sure if I should try to replace the liner or try to at least get it going for this year and replace the liner next year.

Did you get a chance to measure the pool? If a liner for your size isn't too expensive, the drain/new liner/refill might be the best option. Did you get a pump/filter yet?

Just measured it. Been a busy few weeks. The pool is roughly 12'x24' oval and I measured inside depth from the bottom of the pool to the underside of the rail lid and it was roughly 50".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Also regarding the draining and refilling of the pool. Been reading the dangers of draining a pool and having it collapse on itself. Is there a benefit to draining 3/4 of it and refilling the rest of the way with fresh water? That might be better than trying to just clean and filter the water since it's so bad.

I know that the water wouldn't be completely clear and I would need some chemicals as well to get the water clean.

Thoughts?

I'll take a stab at answering.
It seems package deals at pool stores usually have a small filter with too much pump
(a small filter needs to be cleaned more often
and more powerful pumps use more electricity $)
I don't think you want a tiny 100/110 filter.

That said I think the 2-speed version of that kit is sorta acceptable, since low speed uses 1/4 the power.
I actually received that combo with my free, used AG pool, but I need a seal kit to get it running on my 24' round pool.

The great thing about the Great Escape is their price on 4 galons of 12.5% chlorine (sold as shock)... And that is basically the only chemical you need (after getting CYA OK)

I've seen threads here where people get as bad or worse water sparkly clean using the SLAM process. (With mostly that 12.5% chlorine). Don't let them sell you on other chemicals.

It does seem like you should never let water in a liner pool get below 1 foot, as the liner shrinks and old liners don't expand back. After you get the filter hooked up, I think new water can speed up the SLAM if it's not cost prohibitive.

Went to the pool store here and had the water tested. They said that the water has a lot of phosphates in the water and that I should drain most of the water and refill it. They said because there is no chlorine in the water that it would be an uphill battle because of the phosphates.

Here is the printout of the levels. I can drain it most of the way and refill or try to shock and refill. Thoughts?

3f18cd90402fae81816d308bcfdd4222.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.