How to keep pool warm?

jasnovanorder

Bronze Supporter
Jul 2, 2015
Hamilton Michigan
Having an issue getting our pools temp to and above 70. 22x52 intex ultra frame. Sees sun morning and mid day then starts to get shade from about 2:30-3pm. Right now a heater or solar cover are not in the budget. Also doesnt help that our daytime temps are between mid 70's to low 90's but most nights it drops to the 50s-60s. Any cheap way of keeping it somewhat warmer?

Having an issue getting our pools temp to and above 70. 22x52 intex ultra frame. Sees sun morning and mid day then starts to get shade from about 2:30-3pm. Right now a heater or solar cover are not in the budget. Also doesnt help that our daytime temps are between mid 70's to low 90's but most nights it drops to the 50s-60s. Any cheap way of keeping it somewhat warmer?

Since much of the cooling of your water comes from evaporation, you could cover the pool with a tarp or plastic sheeting.A darker color would be best. leave it on at night, when its windy,and when the sun is not on the pool.
Also, just brainstorming here, maybe you could find some left over bubble wrap at a business and lay the pieces in the pool or duct tape a bunch of smaller sheets together.

I'm in the mitten too and my pool is at 86°. I use a solar cover. It just a thin, cheap one, but it does the job.

If I didn't have a solar cover, I'd use a dark tarp. But the cost of a tarp that size is 1/2 or more than the cost of a solar cover.

Solar cover ...i had to cool my pool down a little because it was 89° the other day. I left the cover off for 1 night and the temp dropped 5° . So what ever temp your gaining in the day your losing that night if not more.

Any insulation at all is worth whatever it takes- If buying a cover is out of the budget, make one as best you can.

In the morning when we take our cover off, there's steam coming off the water. When our Intex went away and we actually had to buy a pool, we went with a Radiant Metric because the walls are insulated.

Ok next question. If I can come up with the coin for a solar cover what would be better one that is a bit bigger (24') or one that is a just a bit smaller (21')? It looks like there are not a lot of options for a 22' round pool. Im thinking the 24' would be better that way I could either just let it run up and over the sides or even trim it to fit where the 21 foot would leave some of the surface uncovered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A friend of mine uses black trash bags as a solar cover. We have a solar cover and never use it because I want to throw it away every time we try. I am not sure how people manage to use theirs because ours takes more time and effort to get off and on than its worth! LOL

Go bigger and trim.

Our pool is round and we put it on and off together- solo is horrible. I see pics of oddball shaped pools here and I shudder to think of how aggravating covers on those would be.

I've been looking at the pics of PVC work here, and I'm going to go shopping tomorrow to see about building a rack to drop the rolled up cover on to make things a bit easier and cleaner.

A friend of mine uses black trash bags as a solar cover. We have a solar cover and never use it because I want to throw it away every time we try. I am not sure how people manage to use theirs because ours takes more time and effort to get off and on than its worth! LOL

Thats what my wife wants to try. She say a thing on youtube on how to make little lily pad type heaters with hula hoops and garbage bags. I figure why not for 10 bucks in hoops and bags if it dont work the kids can still use the hoops for something.

I had a neighbor as a kid who worked in some sort of warehouse. they brought home rolls of bubble wrap that that was their solar cover.No tape, just laid it out four peices wide.

I keep meaning to install a reel for my cover on my 27' round, but I never get around to it, because it is easy to take on and off. I don't see what the issue is. I built a PVC pipe rack on the side of the pool to store it. It takes me maybe 2 minutes to drag it off the pool. If I remember to put it on while I am still in the pool, it takes 3 minutes. If I have to do it after I get out, it takes about 5 minutes - tops. I never found it that difficult, and it makes a HUGE difference in my water temps (and it keeps the pool clean too)

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.