Am I Even Testing Right?

dmthom

Jul 21, 2016
Beaumont, TX
I bought a new test kit (K-2006) and my results seem so far off I am wondering if I need to start over...

Free Cl - .6ppm (took 3 drops on the .2ppm test)
Comb Cl - .8ppm (took 4 drops on the .2ppm test)
pH - 8+ (2 drops on "acid demand")
TA - 7ppm
Hardness - 17ppm
CYA - 90

There is some recent background involved:

The pool was on tablets while I was out of town and the pump became clogged, pumping only a fraction of the normal volume.
When I returned, the pool was a lovely pea-green soup.
I repaired the pump and allowed the pool to circulate on tablets for 60 hours.
The color is now cloudy white with the above test results.

Where should I start?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Obviously you'll need to "SLAM" to clear the algae (SLAM link below). Chemically, you'll need to do 3 things: Verify CYA, lower pH to 7.2, and increase FC based on your CYA. If your CYA is correct, then that's a bit too high - most probably from the use of tabs/pucks and bags of shock. Your best bet (first) would be to do a partial water exchange to lower that CYA - at least around 50-70. Something you can do the "SLAM" with and be ready for the summer heat afterwards. If you do that first, then we can get your water clear (algae-free) then work on some other tests and adjustments to get you more comfortable with that K-2006. Make sense?

Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

I'm pretty certain that the CYA test is accurate. I even wore my "cheaters" to make sure :cyclops:.

You are right about the pucks. I mentioned using tablets to a friend and he directed me here (after a lecture).

I'll be back after a) I fix CYA, b) I fix pH, c) I SLAM

I think your TA and CH multipliers might be wrong as the reported numbers are not possible.

Also, start using 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD and then each drop is 0.5ppm ... precise enough and saves the reagent :goodjob:

You are right about the TA & CH values. I forgot to math.

TA - 60
CH - 150
Cl is almost non-existent at this point (I got rid of the tablets and have been exchanging water).
pH is still 8ish - added acid this morning
CYA is still 80+

I was hoping to drop the pH and CYA a bit before I do the SLAM this weekend.

Ok, I am having trouble.

I got the pH down to 7.2 (7.1).
I got the CYA to 50. That took all week.

I have, over the last 48 hours, added 15 gal of bleach (8.25).

After the 1st 11gal I waited 24 hrs and the FC was 7.5 so I have added another 4 gal.

That sure seems like a lot of bleach for an 18000 gal pool that had been green for 1 day.

Is "SLAM"ing a pool usually this intense?

Yes :)

The idea behind SLAM

Shock
Level
And
Maintain

Is to test as often as necessary/possible to keep your chlorine at shock level for your chlorine. Waiting 24 hours is probably too long. You want to test as much as every few hours at first if necessary. You want that chlorine at shock level so you are killing algae faster than it can reproduce.

I am posting this more as a warning to future me (and anyone with similar problems). Also, it is cathartic to vent.

When performing a SLAM, it is important that someone is available to maintain the level over a period of at least 24 hours.

My problem is that I am at work for 12-14 hours a day and by the time I get home my FC level has dropped from SLAM level (20, in my case) to 4-7. It has been a roller coaster ride for my poor pool. It is getting clearer, but I am afraid that I am maintaining a status quo that is less than optimal.

Anyway, I am 22gal of bleach into my SLAM but for the reasons above, I am afraid I am not done yet.

Today's testing:

FC = 7.5
CC = .5
pH = 7.2
CYA = 45-50
I'm not even testing hardness until I get the algae under control.
The water is mostly clear, but cloudy.

Just to be clear, am I supposed to keep SLAMing until my FC stays roughly stable over 24 hours?

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You continue to SLAM until:

1) your FC drops by 1 or less overnight
2) CC is .5 or less
3) water is completely clear

You continue the SLAM until:

Your water is clear enough to see the deep end drains or heads/tails on a coin thrown in the deep end
You lose no more than 1ppm of FC from dusk to dawn (during no sunlight) - referred to as the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test)
Your CC is .5 or less

So, no your FC won't stay stable over 24 hours due to Sun consumption. The OCLT is tested from dark to dark overnight. At SLAM level. So, when the pool is clear and you are ready, you'll add chlorine near dusk to make sure your FC level is at slam, then test again in the morning.

Also, there's no need to test anything other than FC and CC until you have finished SLAMming. Save the reagents. We'll help you get that other stuff sorted out when the algae is gone! You're doing good, just keep at it! Even though you aren't able to up the FC as often as you would like, you are still killing off the algae. Make sure you are brushing everyday too. Maybe after you get home and test/dose, run the brush over the pool while the chlorine is doing it's thing. Then before you go to bed, test and dose again. If you can do it, another round of test/dose in the morning before heading out to work would help tremendously!

Keep at it! You're going in the right direction!

Is there another possibility besides organic material?

It has been clear (but cloudy white) for 4 days. I can barely see the drains at 6ft.

I ask because I have been SLAMing since last Saturday (7 days) and my wife is asking tough questions.

I kept a log for the last few days:

7/27
5:15pm FC=6.5 added bleach

7/28
6:00am FC=17 added bleach
5:30pm FC=8.5 added bleach
8:40pm FC=20.5

7/29
6:30am FC=17 added bleach
1:00pm FC=16 added bleach
4:30pm FC=11.5 added bleach
8:20pm FC=22.5

7/30
8am FC=19.5. No action

This has beena familiar patern all week.

As my wife asked, "Why not add one of those shock bags and we swim the next day?"

What does the water look like?
Do you have anything like ladders, stairs, robots or lights?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any time that the FC is below or at SLaM level, and you can reasonably see to the bottom of the pool, you can swim. You just may not want to wear the new suit...

Looks like you keep failing the OCLT so something is still in the water. There are no bags of magic powder, now with a good test kit you can understand your water and not stick your head in the sand and assume things are fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.