How to best chlorinate while on vacation

A common question. You have a few options/considerations:
- Increase FC to SLAM level before leaving. That should get you through a few days
- If you have a cover, make sure to use it. That will save lots of FC.
- Have a friend/neighbor add bleach each day, maybe check your skimmer if needed as well
- As long as your CYA isn't too high already, drop a couple chlorine tabs in a floater until you get back.

Hope that helps.

Just get tablets near 100% trichlor ... no #-in-1 versions and definitely none that contain copper.

Using PoolMath, each 8 oz tablet of trichlor will add 12ppm of FC and 7.4 ppm of CYA.

So, I would raise the FC to shock level with bleach and only add 1 tablet in a floater wide open.

So I returned from a week away and my pool was in decent shape. Water is clear but definitely a bit cloudy. The trichlor tabs elevated the cya to about 60 so I added new water to bring it down to 50 as of today. It has been about 100 degrees here and raining heavily. I've tried to keep leaves and twigs out via the skimmer and scoop net but I do have the light brown/yellow powder algae settling on the bottom of the pool. I shocked the pool twice to about a 24 per pool math at a cya of 60. I'm changing filters about every 2 days and the dirty filter is quite green and slimy(not really reusable IMO). The water is still transparent albeit cloudy. My pool store guy did mention phosphates although I didn't bite. Is it possible that the climate and the fact that my pool is beneath a large oak tree that phosphates could be a legitimate issue for me? I feel like I'm fighting the battle but possibly missing something.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.