Please Help

Jul 14, 2016
Mastic, NY
Hello all,
This is my first post as I am new on here and to pools in general for that matter. Last year I purchased my home which came with at 27' round above ground pool. I am having the same issues this year as I had last year and seem to get the run around from kids at pool stores that are just looking to the push chemicals they are told to. So here we go. I have an algae problem that seems to be different than most of the posts I have read through. My water is crystal clear. The algae that I get is green, clumps together, sits at the bottom of the pool and regenerates at a rapid pace. I have tried brushing it up and shocking the pool, vacuuming, and changing the chemical brands. Last week I took a water sample to Leslie pools and found some major issues.

1-free chlorine was 0
2-total chlorine was 0
3-CYA was 0
4-hardness was 100

I shocked my pool and had 2 3" chlorine tablets in my floating dispenser 2 days prior to bringing that sample in so I'm not really sure whats going on there. I purchased the conditioner to raise the CYA level and did that treatment last weekend. Then I went to Lowe's and purchased all new Clorox shock and chlorine from them in order to rule out the cheap chemicals Island Recreational sells here on Long Island. Last night I vacuumed out all of the **** on the bottom of the pool, cleaned the filter out and added fresh de, put 3 3" chlorine tabs in the dispenser, shocked the pool with 2 lbs of the Clorox shock I purchased and ran the filter for 6 hours. Today the pool did it's normal 10am to 4pm cycle on the timer and when I got home from work, I have the clumps around the floor of the pool again! I tested the water and I have maybe .5 at best of free chlorine available. This is driving me crazy. Am I missing something. I added a photo of what it looked like today when I got home after shocking it last night. Other than a few small pieces of leaves that collected at the bottom, it's all algae. Most is in the middle because of the water circulating but if you look close, you can see little dots all over. I appreciate any help. Thanks

The first step to take to get control of your pool is to buy one of the two test kits recommended by this forum.

Please order one of the recommended test kits, the TF 100 or the Taylor K-2006C. You can get the Taylor one from Amazon, or the TF 100 from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

While waiting for your test kit to arrive, please do some reading at "Pool School" from the link at the top of this page.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: ^ Agreed. I would recommend the TF-100 with Speed Stir (link below). Outstanding product that will last all season and into next. Besides relying on pool store testing, which is always inaccurate, you have been using pool store products that are either destined to fail or they skew other levels causing more problems. Remember, pool stores are a business and will sell you anything, then be happy when you come back for more. That's not what TFP is about. Pool control, ownership, and proper chemistry is what we try to help you with to enjoy your pool and summer.

So, start with the right test kit. Don't add anything else to your water right now except about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach each evening. Once you receive your test kit, post a full set of test results and we'll be ale to give you accurate guidance to fix your water. Be advised we normally do not use chlorine tabs/pucks, or bags of "shock" as those products tend to add too much stabilizer (CYA) to a pool requiring a drain. The fact the pool store showed your CYA as zero doesn't mean it is zero since their test is often wrong, but your test kit will confirm that for us.

Read the other vital inks below in my sig and we'll watch for your test results. Nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.