Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool looks wonderful, a GREAT big THANK YOU!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool looks wonderful, a GREAT big THANK YOU!!

I'm just finishing up my conversion from Baquacil to chlorine, if the FC stays at 15 tonite, it is OVER! My water has never looked so clear and sparkily. I find myself standing on the deck just looking at it in amazement.

My numbers are:

FC 15
    CC .5
    TC 15.5
    PH 7.6
    Alk 120
    CYA 15 -20 due to using pucks in the beginning of the process

When I first decided I wanted to convert, I went to the pool store for "help". The lady there is really nice and I do believe she thought she was "helping" when she gave me chlorine pucks and said just drop on of these in everyday. Being fairly new to having a pool, I took her word as gospel and followed the directions.

The next week took a water sample back to be tested and she said , levels still high, this may take all summer.

I didn't want to wait all summer and be a slave to my pool as I had been the previous season, so I jumped online and started researching. I found this site and read and read until I thought my eyes were going to fall out...lol. Then I said what the heck and started following the directions for Baquacil to chlorine conversion.

I wasn't sure at first what I had gotten myself into because I used about 70 BIG bottles of bleach, but I kept reading "have patience", and by the third day I had clearing water! I ordered my FT-100 test kit and I really LOVE it. It is so easy to use.

So if all goes well tonite, I will be changing out my sand tomorrow and I also bought a bigger filter, because mine was the bare minimum size for my size pool. While I was at the pool store the nice lady asked how my conversion was going and if I brought my water to be tested. I gave her a sample and let her do her thing. She was amazed at the results and said she had NEVER had a conversion go so fast before. My teenage daughter and I just looked at each other and smiled, knowing "our little secret".

So a GREAT BIG THANK YOU!! to the administrators and moderators of this forum, and to everyone else who talked me through this. I have never seen anyone of my family and friends that has a pool that looks better than mine!
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool looks wonderful, a GREAT big THANK YOU!!

You are welcome!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiholic
    CYA 15 -20 due to using pucks in the beginning of the process
    You may want to get that to at least 40
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    pepsiholic is doing a baquacil conversion. The CYA should not be raised until after the FC level holds overnight and the sand has been changed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Pepsi,

What a very nice post. Baqua conversions are incredibly rewarding not only to you but the folks here on the forum who get to "see" them, also. Very nice work and a very quick conversion. You obviously kept your FC up at the high levels required.

If you have a chance, relay your story to a new poster, "jewels-gt" who is struggling with a conversion and needs a little encouragement.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    pepsiholic is doing a baquacil conversion. The CYA should not be raised until after the FC level holds overnight and the sand has been changed.
    OHHHHH....

so now I'll research baquacil
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)