Can't keep any Free Chlorine

May 12, 2009
2 days ago I Shocked with 2 #'s of shock, tested today and the FC was at about .5 I added 2 .5 qts of 6% bleach this morning, tested in the evening and the FC was still at about .5 Whjat could be eating up all my chlorine.....The pool is 17,000 gallons, ph at 7.4 and CYA was at 0 but added conditioner 1 day ago, so it should be coming up....

When the CYA level is very low, you can lose all of your chlorine to sunlight in less than a day.

Algae can consume all of your chlorine quite quickly.

Also, sometimes when opening in the spring there is a substantial chlorine demand for a while.

What does your water look like?

With clear water there probably isn't any algae. Still, the 2# of shock you added would have be consumed by sunlight. That means that all you really lost was 2.5 qts, which really isn't all that much chlorine, perhaps 3 ppm at most.

Regardless, the solution is more chlorine. You need to keep adding chlorine until you can maintain a FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.