Planning a new pool and looking for some advice

Jul 17, 2016
Cumming, GA
My wife and I have decided to install a pool by early next year. We pretty much know what we want, (spillover spa, tanning ledge, ease of maintenance in a free-form design. That's about as far as we've gotten though although I'm taking the advice here and researching the various pumps, filters, lights, etc.

Ive spoken to a few pool builders and have gotten some very rough ideas, pricing, timing and so forth but since I'm new to this, I'd like to learn from those that have experiance. We're leaning towards a concrete pool with Pebble-Tec (or similar finish,) but I'm looking at some fiberglass manufactures. In my area, most pool builders specialize concrete so it's one-sided. I've read the pros and cons of both, my main concern is a very low mantienance and long-term lower cost of upkeep.

Looking through builds that others have posted, what we find desirable it seems many other owners do as well. What I'm looking for is what you learned about your build, what would you do different, what is a necessity, what area can one trim the budget without sacrificing the end install.

What I've decided is key is make sure the plumbing sizing is correct and perhaps upgraded. Upgrade to a cartridge-based filter, perhaps a D.E. system. I should add we'll go with a salt system from the onset and LED lighting. Are automated controls a must or mostly flash?

im glad I found this site, I've learned more in a very brief time and expect I'll learn more. Thanks for any advice you care to share and I'll keep the board updated as to my progress.

Automation is not a must but automation with internet control while a bit on the expensive side does lend to ease of use, I love my iaqualink. Get a large filter the larger you get the less often you will have to clean it. The SWG is going to help make things simple but the first year you will be adding alot of MA as the plaster cures. Even a "Trouble Free Pool" is going to take an hour or two a week. No such thing as set it and forget it unless you pay someone to do it and that is not bullet proof either. Most on this site came here because the pool guy messed up one too many times or the pool store sold them a bunch of stuff that did not work.

The number one best upgrade you can get for the pool is a good test kit take a look at the recommended kits in Pool School TF-100 is the best of the bunch but any of the recommended kits will serve.

If I had multiple water features ($$) and fancy lights and heater ($$) I might consider automation. But for Skippy and myself we don't feel it was needed with our pool. We have a basic timer that does the turning on and off, and the SWG works off the pump.

-Sand filters are easy to care for yet slowest to clear a green pool up.
-Cartridge filters are good especially in areas with water restrictions, but in clearing up algae they do require more cleaning
-DE is considered the filter that provides the fastest clearing of small microns of stuff, but if ever you have to clean up a green pool they are the most time consuming and require the most attention at that time.

If you want a deep pool for diving and lots of fun, go cement. Spas look nice but sometimes I question the return on cost and wonder how much they actually get used?

Just my two cents :)

Yippee :flower:

Builders often times have a fairly decent markup for both automation and SWG systems and both are fairly simple to install assuming some basic skills gluing PVC in the case of the SWG and basic knowledge of electrical connections in outdoor locations. If you choose to install your self you can still ask the builder to arrange the equipment and conduit structure at the pad to accommodate what you plan on adding in the future.

Another common regret I see myself included is go slightly deeper on the shallow end 4ft is a nice depth for adults to hangout vs the 3'6" that most builders spec.

If the builder provides a suction or pressure cleaner in the quote see if you can get a bit of a discount without it and get a robot. The robot will likely cost more but most find they do a better job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.