That good old pool store.

Jul 2, 2014
Upstate NY
So I stopped by the local pool store to get some magic lube as its petty cheap there. I gave them my water sample just for the heck of it. They use they major computer brand to measure chemistry levels. I have balanced the heck out of the water with the Taylor k2006. I know that my hardness is 170. They said it was 161 which I thought was pretty close. The guy grabs for a tub of calcium. I said what are you doing? He said put 17 lbs in. I said I have a liner it does not matter. He said oh yea it matters even more. It will schrink and crack if you don't put this in. I lied and said I don't have enough cash on me I will come back. He said ok but don't neglect it. I said ok I won't. It's bad enough that I sometimes have to shock my pool powder shock (I have some left over from while back) which adds hardness anyway. Can you imagine 17 lbs of calcium? That would bring it to like 1000 or more. These people are killing me at the pool store. They don't know how many people they are hurting.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: The reason I shock the pool sometimes is if my cc goes over 0.5 ppms after a bad storm or if I have a party but that's very rare. Shocking with 2.5 gal of liquid chlorine is $15 vs shocking with 3 bags is $7.

FYI, use PoolMath ... 17 pounds in your pool would only add 96ppm of CH.

Seems like your liquid chlorine is way over priced.
3 Gallons of 10% at Walmart was going for $7.50.

Well a couple weeks ago my pool pump died and I kept adding chlorine and stirring it in for about 3 days until got a new pump. The pool got cloudy and then I "shocked" it with 2.5 gallons of cliquid chlorine because I had 1.5 ppm of combined chlorine. Now I have 0 ppm of cc. Is that ok? Did I do something wrong?

No, you didn't do anything "wrong"! We just don't usually shock on TFP. We will do an OCLT to see if we have issues and we "slam" if need be.

Zero to 0.5 CC is perfect! Why don't you post a full list of current test results if you want some input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.