No chlorine registering in my small ag pool, what to do?

Jul 18, 2016
Beverly, MA
I have a small ~1,700 gallon pool. I have only had it up and filled since Sunday. I have a floater in it with 3 1" chlorine tabs (which I have replaced 3 times now). Initially after the first day I got a chlorine reading. Now the last two days my testing (on both test strip and 2-way test kit) show no chlorine in my pool. Not quite sure what to do.

Once your chlorine drop to zero and stuff starts growing it will consume chlorine quickly. The floater just can't deliver chlorine fast enough to keep a pool chlorinated.

You need to switch to bleach or liquid chlorine (same stuff) to get the chlorine in the water quickly enough.

Just a splash over 2 cups of 8.25% bleach will take you from 0ppm to 7ppm in that small of a pool. Get whatever bleach is cheapest but not splash-less, scented, outdoor or any other specialty bleach. Just plain old Clorox or store brand bleach. Check out PoolMath at the top of the page to figure out dosages. Head over to Pool School and do some reading. With your FC reading zero a few times, it's a good idea to SLAM your pool. The FAS-DPD chlorine test that is in the TFTestkits TF-100(link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C(available from Amazon) is needed to be able to measure that you are at shock level. I'm not sure whether SLAM's are even recommended on a pool that size but I'm sure someone who knows will chime in soon!

Pool School - ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Getting Started

I have been doing what was recommended. I get liquid chlorinated and have been adding 2 cups at night and still the next day no chlorine showing up. My Ph was in the 6.8 range so last night I added another 2 cups of chlorinatoe and 2.7 ph up (as amount indicated on bottle). Checked levels this morning. PH seems to be in range chlorine zero. Added another 2 cups of chlorinator. Just tested now (4 hours later) chlorine still at zero. It's hot and sunny but I'm at a loss. Not sure what the heck I should be doing to maintain any level of chlorine in my tiny little pool. Just added another 2 cups and put the floater with tablets back in.

When you FC is below minimum for your CYA [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] bacteria and algae grows at rapid rates and consume your chlorine even fwter. You have to maintain the chlorine level above minimum at ALL times. Now, the FC is getting used up faster by the algae and bacteria you gave to add it more often. The way to maintain chlorine in a pool is to test and add more as often as needed. The more time it spends below minimum the more frequently you need to test and add more. If you don't go have any CYA in the pool then the sun will also quickly oxidize your chlorine.

Without any CYA the sun will eat up your chlorine really fast. Might want to try the dichlor method used in the spa start ups to adding chlorine as it will also add some CYA to buffer it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.