Possible Mustard algae with CYA 80

Funny! We were saying the same thing at dinner. :)

That's great! (For you, but not so much for your wife! It's amazing how babies just seem to "know" sometimes.). Btw, did the sleep book help naps at all?

Yes! The book was eye opening. I only wish I had read it 11 years ago when my oldest was born. I can now see how I have completely screwed up my kids...oh well, at least I can get one right ;)

All kidding aside, it's a good read and very informative. I can see how my kids developed unhealthy sleep habits and how that contributes to the sleep problems my two middle boys have. All of my kids stopped napping at early ages (~18 months) which I always chalked up to "oh well, that must just be 'natural' for them". Nope! We should have "enforced" a healthier set of nap times and down time for them...oh well, something else to experiment with now ;)

Thanks for the post on the CYA! Mine has dropped to 50 too so it must be a Texas SLAM with high CYA? When I first got my pool I was scared of the CYA because I thought it would be impossible to get rid of but I can't seem to keep enough of it at the house because it is constantly dropping. I think part of it is from my kids splashing the pool water out and part is probably from some other reason. I know in the spring it was because my overflows were working overtime getting the rain water out of the pool.

Also I saw in another post where you were talking about the foam behind the weir doors. I went and my skimmers don't have that so I wonder if it is only certain types of skimmer doors? Mine are plastic on both sides but at the top really thick so I wonder if that causes them to float or if there is foam inside of the plastic?

Yes! The book was eye opening. I only wish I had read it 11 years ago when my oldest was born. I can now see how I have completely screwed up my kids...oh well, at least I can get one right ;)

All kidding aside, it's a good read and very informative. I can see how my kids developed unhealthy sleep habits and how that contributes to the sleep problems my two middle boys have. All of my kids stopped napping at early ages (~18 months) which I always chalked up to "oh well, that must just be 'natural' for them". Nope! We should have "enforced" a healthier set of nap times and down time for them...oh well, something else to experiment with now ;)

Matt, I'm so glad it helped you! Life is so much better for everyone when sleep goes well.

(I know it's pretty off topic for a pool forum, but in case anyone is interested from reading the above, the book is called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. We've used it as a reference for all of our kids since it was introduced to us over 14 years ago and highly recommend it.)

Thanks for the post on the CYA! Mine has dropped to 50 too so it must be a Texas SLAM with high CYA? When I first got my pool I was scared of the CYA because I thought it would be impossible to get rid of but I can't seem to keep enough of it at the house because it is constantly dropping. I think part of it is from my kids splashing the pool water out and part is probably from some other reason. I know in the spring it was because my overflows were working overtime getting the rain water out of the pool.

Also I saw in another post where you were talking about the foam behind the weir doors. I went and my skimmers don't have that so I wonder if it is only certain types of skimmer doors? Mine are plastic on both sides but at the top really thick so I wonder if that causes them to float or if there is foam inside of the plastic?

I had been working off of the assumption that CYA was there to stay except for splash out and overflow too, so this was a surprise to me that it could seemingly disappear. It sure through me for a loop during this SLAM to have it go down without realizing. I can't believe how much bleach I was using and still my overnight FC loss was going up!

Interesting how your skimmer doors don't have foam behind them. My skimmers are Hayward. But I'm not familiar enough to know how others are. I assume as long as the door moves freely with the water then the skimmers will work prosperly.

Ok, here is the highlight of today's post.... I passed my OCLT this morning!

The FC held from 24 last night to 24 this morning, and 0.5 CCs. I had a bunch of dead crickets in the skimmer. So, it seems that I would have probably passed days ago if it hadn't been for my mistakenly using way too much bleach according to my CYA level. I also got the standard CYA solution today and based on comparisons with my current pool water, I looks like My CYA was between 40-50. I added all of the stabilizer I had in hand (92 oz -raise by 25) but PoolMath calls for 112oz to go from 50 to a CYA of 80 so I will buy some more. I sure hope this is the last SLAM I ever have to do, but I am relieved that it wasn't as hopeless as it was seeming when I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. On the bright side, it still took less than a week, and it would have been shorter if I had known what was going on sooner. So thanks for everyone's help and support through it. I can easily say, I hate SLAMming and you all help me survive it! :)

Congrats!!!

I passed my OCLT and CC now but I realized my main drain has a bunch of old leaves in it and I am worried that it might cause me problems later. I honestly don't know how to get them out. I created a new post about it. I don't want to have to unscrew it all the time to get leaves out. Plus my fat butt can barely stay down there. It would be nice if I could have a narrow vacuum attachment to get in the crack and grab the stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.