New pool build in Katy, Texas!

May 12, 2016
Katy, Texas
Pretty much complete. There are still a few issues that the PB needs to address before it's finished and we're hoping they take care of them to our satisfaction. Glad to join the forum and I'm already learning so much.

Attachments

• IMG_1722[1].jpg
    IMG_1722[1].jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 486
Re: New pool build!

Welcome, and you have a nice looking pool there. Now for a couple of house keeping points if you would please update your signature with your pool information, and refine your location a bit for us, you don't have to tell us your street address, but part of the state or nearest major city will help us give better advice, Texas is a big place after all and some of our advice may be different for different climates. See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I know these things are not that important for this post, but if you go ahead and set it up, then when it comes time to ask a question, you may get a quicker answer rather than having to go rounds asking about where you live, or what kind of pool / filter you have.

Ike

Beautiful! What type and color plaster do you have? Love the water color! It's the shade I'm hoping mine turns out, but I think it might be a bit lighter.

Thank you! I've been following your pool build a while, hope everything comes out ok! Our pool builder got ours done in 4 weeks! Not bad at all. Yes we've got a few things that need attending but hopefully that gets taken care of. We were at least able to swim in during the weekend before they did the acid part.

The plaster finish is Wet Edge Luna Aruba Quartz. We really like the color but some of the plaster finish is blotchy. Our PB is saying after the acid and brushing it should look better but I'm a bit skeptical. We shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, that's a beautiful oasis. Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Thanks!

Welcome, and you have a nice looking pool there. Now for a couple of house keeping points if you would please update your signature with your pool information, and refine your location a bit for us, you don't have to tell us your street address, but part of the state or nearest major city will help us give better advice, Texas is a big place after all and some of our advice may be different for different climates. See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I know these things are not that important for this post, but if you go ahead and set it up, then when it comes time to ask a question, you may get a quicker answer rather than having to go rounds asking about where you live, or what kind of pool / filter you have.

Ike

Signature updated and threads read. Now looking into test kits.

PB is about to finish off the muriatic acid treatment and go forward with the chlorine. We can't add salt for a few more weeks. Should I wait to try to TFP methods until the salt is added? Getting a bit stressed out with so much to think about.

You probably need to do whatever the PB says to protect warranty, but you can let us know what he's recommending and TFPC will either be compatible or can be made so with a tweak or two.

You probably need to do whatever the PB says to protect warranty, but you can let us know what he's recommending and TFPC will either be compatible or can be made so with a tweak or two.

Didn't think about that (the warranty part). I'll talk to them and see what they recommend.

I do plan on sealing the flagstone and rock though soon to protect the finish. That dupont stuff is pricey but people swear by it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First results for 10 day old pool water.

Just using the pentair kit I get numbers of

.5 chlorine ( ideal level of 2?)
8.2 ph (needed 3 drops to get it back to normal range)
120 alkalinity

Looking at pool math is says I need to add 56 ounces of 6% bleach and 25 ounces of muriatic acid.

Does this sound right?

Had kids and people over last night and plan on doing the same today. Haven't even gone through pool school yet (scheduled on monday) but want to be ahead of the curve. Will I be ok waiting one more day or should I add bleach now?

Thanks.

I'd be inclined to buy something 8.25% or above. If what you have says 6% on the jug, it should be OK to use.

The pool won't hold chlorine through more than 2 or 3 hours of sun until it has some stabilizer (aka cyanuric acid, aka CYA) in the water.

Your pH is probably above 8.2, maybe 8.4/8.6ish

Numbers sound fine. Is your test kit on the way?

I'd be inclined to buy something 8.25% or above. If what you have says 6% on the jug, it should be OK to use.

The pool won't hold chlorine through more than 2 or 3 hours of sun until it has some stabilizer (aka cyanuric acid, aka CYA) in the water.

Your pH is probably above 8.2, maybe 8.4/8.6ish

Numbers sound fine. Is your test kit on the way?

I already have a ph test kit with the pentair kit so that means I only need the TF-50? Or should I still get the TF-100?

Also, I notice some of the walls feel a bit slimy to the touch. Algae coming on?

The TF 50 is designed as a complement kit for someone who already has and wants to use a 4in1 style kit. So the answer is yes as far as minimum requirements.

You also get fewer tests of:
Test | TF50 | TF100
CYA | 3 tests | 16 tests
FC | 35 tests | 70 tests

The TF50 does not include OTO chlorine, which some people use a quick daily checker for FC

If it were me, I'd get the TF100 because of the better long term value. You can see how the two kits compare and use up the reagents in the Pentair kit if you're happy with the reading. The reagents keep well as long as you keep the kit out of the weather for storage. If you can swing the extra $35, people swear by their speed-stirrers. At one time you got free shipping if it was over $100, so that might be a consideration.

Also, check out "Become a supporter" linked in my signature. It's a modest one-time donation, tax-deductible, and I think gets you a coupon at TFTestKits. All the advice is volunteer here at TFP, but the little donations cover the forum costs and keep everything flowing.

Here's the table which is accurate for the TF test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Drinking and brushing don't mix.

kmxf0fV.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.