Just opened pool

May 4, 2016
Canada/Toronto
Hi Guys,

i just opened my pool recently. When i did i encountered some issues like the winter cover having a hole in it and alot of leaves now at the bottom of the pool.

When i opened it the water was a light-mid green color. I started to shock the pool Sunday night and last night again (used in total 6 packs of this HTH Sock It® , 454g | Canadian Tire). The color has gone from light mid green color -> light green -> light blue. However it has always been cloudy. The pool just told me not to test the water since the shock can mess up the readings. I only have the test strips.

Today i tried vacuuming it and nearly caused a bigger mess. The suction hose and skimmer hole was clogged up by all the junk in the bottom of the pool (debris from last winter ie little helicopter leaves). Lucky i was able to unclog the leaves.

I have a floating device where i put 3 chlorine pucks in. I generally run the pump for about 8 hours a day. The pool is approx 16 gallons (60,000 liters).

So what is my next step then? How do i get rid of the leaves/debris at the bottom of the pool? Will the pool get clear and its just the process that its going through? Thanks!!

Welcome to TFP!

Get a leaf rake and scoop out all the leaves while you wait for your K2006 test kit. Probably should get the CYA, it has more reagents for a SLAM.

I am in Ottawa. There are only a few ways to get that kit up here. 1) Amazon; 2) there is a company in TO area (name escapes me, but if you search for Taylor Kit Ontario, you should find it); 3) head to the US and buy through Leslie's, but you don't get the FAS kit there, and have to back through option 1 above for that. All in all, it is a real pain and much bigger expense to get the kit up here.

I purchased mine from Leslie's, only to discover it was not the kit that includes the FAS test...nevertheless, I am happy with the kit...but I have never needed to SLAM (knock on wood)....if I do, I will have to rely on pool store water tests...

Incidentally, I have compares results from my Taylor kit with results from the pool store test down the road from me, and they are essentially the same results...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

As you learned, vacuuming the leaves is not a good idea. Better to use a push broom and corral all the much to a central spot (easier said than done) and then extract it with a pool rake.

Thanks for all your everyones advice.

Yes i'm located in Canada and its hard and expensive to get those kits.

I'm not sure if i want to spend more money on the pool. I was even thinking about closing it down for good. We just moved in and they pool is original from 20-30 years ago. The previous owner didnt take care of it and there are alot of issues.

I will try to use the pool rake and see if it works. Will try to get the water clear.

As you learned, vacuuming the leaves is not a good idea. Better to use a push broom and corral all the much to a central spot (easier said than done) and then extract it with a pool rake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.