Cannot get chlorine level up

DBKwas

May 26, 2016
Midwest USA
Added stabilizer 72 hours ago and levels are sitting right around 35. I added 112 oz of 8.25% chlorine bleach and level is barely registering at maybe 0.5. Do I add more bleach? I used the calculator which said to add 96oz but I added a little more and it still isn't making a difference at all.

You usually only smell chlorine if you have high CC (the bad stuff) and actually do not have enough FC in the water.
So, certainly sounds like a SLAM might be needed.

How have you been maintaining it the last 2 weeks?
What test kit are you using? Post up the full results.

I had been maintaining with the 3" tablets until I found this site and ordered the Taylor K-2006 last week.
FC -<1, very very pink tint
pH 7.6
CYA 35
Help me understand this SLAM, I am not understanding what the chart is telling me. It says to bring the Shock FC up to 14?? Do I go to the calculator and use 14 as the target to tell me how much liquid chlorine to add?

I had been maintaining with the 3" tablets until I found this site and ordered the Taylor K-2006 last week.
FC -<1, very very pink tint
pH 7.6
CYA 35
Help me understand this SLAM, I am not understanding what the chart is telling me. It says to bring the Shock FC up to 14?? Do I go to the calculator and use 14 as the target to tell me how much liquid chlorine to add?

Welcome to TFP :)

Yes for SLAM, the idea is to bring your FC to shock level for your CYA, you can use pool math to calculate chorine needed......just make sure you have your pool volume plugged in at the top and the correct %of chlorine you are using (liquid). You want to keep your chlorine that high testing and adding as often as necessary/possible until you pass three tests

Clean clear water
CC .5 or less
OCLT Of 1 or less (overnight chlorine loss test)

Brush well and often

If your water is clear with no cloudiness or visible algae, you may be fine raising your chlorine ASAP with liquid to the high end of your target range for your CYA and keeping a watchful eye on that FC

Using those tabs has a place and a time but what is important is understanding that eventually they can get your CYA to an unmanageable level. Take a look at this article in pool school Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And ask any questions you have here.

More questions on balancing the water in my pool! Here are my current numbers:
pH: <7.0
TA: 130
FC: 0
CYA: 45
CH: 170

As I understand, if I raise the pH by adding borax I will also increase the alkalinity too which is already too high. I am stuck!!

You need that PH to come up. Can you aerate by pointing returns up? Bring that PH up.

Why is FC 0 ?

Sounds like a lot of issues going on here. Important question.......how are you chlorinating your pool?

I am using bleach. SLAMed it on the 23rd and seemed to sustain fairly well until I tested this morning and nothing which led me to test EVERYTHING.
If I bring that pH up with Borax, it says it will also raise the TA correct? Do I raise pH first and then worry about TA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.