sock method?

I don't have a photo, but it is pretty simple.

1. Nested a pair of ladies knee-highs and filled sac with ~ 1.5 pound of CYA. ties open-end to form a sac.
2. Tied an 18-inch heavy twine to the stocking-knot and looped the other twine-end with another knot. Want the sac to hang maybe 15 inches from the loop end.
3. Took a 6-foot 2x4, put 1 nail in it near one end.
4. Placed twine loop around the nail and set the 2x4 on the concrete deck with the hanging sac about 12 inches out from the pool wall at the return jet, dangling in the water in front of the return jet.

The 4.5 feet of 2x4 on the concrete deck offset the weight of the CYA sac, but you could place more weight on the concrete end if desired.

Jetting water lazily moves the sac around while bathing the sac in the flow. CYA dissolved easily in 12 hours (though an occasional squeeze /wringing of the sac helped disperse the dissolved CYA).

Repeat as necessary with another load until you reach desired CYA level.

RackingJ said:
Does anyone have a pic of their sock setup handy? I'm a visual person and would like to get an idea how to attach the sock in front of the return when we're done with our Baquacrap to chlorine conversion.

TIA!

Jen, you and I have almost the same pool - I just tied the sock to a piece of clothesline, ran it up and over the toprail, and tied the other end around the outside of the return fitting, enough length so that the filled sock was flapping about from the water pressure....if that makes sense.

I had a CrAzY thought....

I'm also trying to get my CYA distributed into my pool and am currently using the sock method.

My question is....does anyone think it is possible to put CYA in a home blender (old glass one we don't use anymore) with a large amount of water and *coax* the CYA to dissolve faster? Then you could just broadcast the liquid into your pool.

Second thought....could you dissolve it faster by placing it in a shakeable container with pool water and get it to dissolve any faster by agitating it?

Can you tell they don't sell liquid CYA anywhere in my hometown? :lol:

Why is everyone always in such a hurry to get the CYA to dissolve?

Relax, open a bottle of POP (pool owner patience), and add CYA the normal way and give the full week to dissolve. There is no reason to spend time or money getting CYA in more quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hlemon, the CYA that I added earlier this year actually dissolved pretty quickly just using the ol' sock method. I don't remember the brand name right now, but it's what Home Depot carries. I put it in a long sweat-sock, tied the top in a knot, and just dropped it into the skimmer bucket. I returned after 24 hours (pump wasn't running the whole time) and the granules were already a soft mush inside the sock. At this point, with the pump running, I just grabbed the sock and started squeezing it and it all dissolved (looked like a milky liquid coming out of the sock). It took about 2-3 minutes of squeezing and it was done. No blender needed! :-D

Greg

frustratedpoolmom said:
Jen, you and I have almost the same pool - I just tied the sock to a piece of clothesline, ran it up and over the toprail, and tied the other end around the outside of the return fitting, enough length so that the filled sock was flapping about from the water pressure....if that makes sense.

That was a perfect description! Thanks. :goodjob:

Thanks for the pic, Irishal. :)

irishal- I really like your liner! The design at the top is nice. :goodjob:

rhythm- mine usually does ok. I was just trying to hurry the process along because I have NO CYA in my pool right now and am trying to fight algae. I tried the shaker method, it does dissolve some of it.

JasonLion said:
Why is everyone always in such a hurry to get the CYA to dissolve?
I want my sparkly pool NOW!!!!! :lol:

Here's another trick! Somebody said they used a 5-gal bucket of really hot water to pre-dissolve the CYA, it was gone in a comparatively short time (hour, maybe?) then just pour that into the skimmer so the filter will catch any miniscule bits left.
--paulr

4 weeks ago i couldn't see the top of my liner :shock:
It was seriously green. As I said in another thread I dumped $$$$$ at the pool store for 2 1/2 weeks until coming across TFP. 8 days was what it took from green to sparkling using BBB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.