Can I add chemicals now?

Jul 15, 2016
Cypress, TX
Ok, heres my concern! We had our new pool installed over the weekend and started filling it yesterday about 3:30pm and as of right now it's about half full. My concern is should I wait until it is completely full before i can add chemicals? I stopped by walmart on the way home from work tonight and picked up six gallons of the liquid chlorine just in case, oh, and a bag of baking soda for the TA level. This pool is about 19,000 gallons and will take about another 24hrs or so to be completely full. I dont want things to start growing in the pool that really should'nt be there. I havent tested the water yet either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds reasonable. :goodjob:

Slowly pour it where the hose is adding water and a quick brushing will mix it. Until you get the CYA in the water, the sun will destroy all the chlorine every day. If you happened to have some trichlor tablets and a floater, you could start to add the FC and CYA that way. But, I would not go out and buy them if you do not have them.

The show sig box under the text box was not checked. I checked it on a couple of posts. Make sure it is checked one time for each device you use and it will stay checked after that.

I buy CYA at Lowe's. It comes in a 4 lb jug, get granular. Aka cyanuric acid, aka stabilizer. Put it in a sock or knee high. More here on adding chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.