How often to Backwash?

munsterf15

Gold Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Minnetonka
How often should I be backwashing and rinsing?

So, last week I noticed some "brown" stuff coming out of the pump and into the pool when the pump was just turned on. It lasted a minute or two and then the brown stuff quit coming out and the water was clear coming out of the pump. Like an idiot, I ignored it, went on family vacation, and now when I came home a week later, the pool had a lot of brown stuff on the bottom. I did a backwash cycle and a TON of brown came out of the pump. I did three backwash/rinse cycles and now the water is clear coming out of the pump.

Couple dumb newbie questions.

1. Does the sand pump actually filter the water? And if so, does it need to be rinsed to remove what it's filtering?
2. What now with the pool? Do I just run the pump and hope the brown stuff gets filtered out again?
3. Is the pool safe to swim in like this? Chlorine level was at zero when I got home (dang it), so I wasn't running the pump long enough while I was away. I added chlorine and it's at 3 now. Aside from PH being a little high, all other numbers are fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Marty

1. The sand filter is what filters the water (the pump just moves the water). The pump basket will catch larger debris. You should backwash the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

2. What are your test results? Sounds like you might need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

3. If you can see the bottom of the pool and the FC level is between the minimum and the shock level for your CYA (see the FC/CYA Chart), then it is safe. Given the FC drop to 0, I highly suspect the SLAM is needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.