Ozone or straight chlorine or????

Jun 18, 2016
oakdale/ca
We are having a pool build and I was told by the builders that salt would be terrible for the rock features we have going in around the pool. So we ordered a ozone system after being told it would help with red eye and irritation and chemical cost/exposure. Can you all give your opinion on this? We are at the beginning stages of the build so I think we have time to change if needed. Thanks everyone:D

A quick search of the forum will find this exact question discussed many many times.

Basically, TFP does not recommend UV or ozone systems for residential outdoor pools. The reason is you need to still maintain chlorine in them and if you have the proper chlorine level, there is no reason to waste the money on the UV of ozone. Those systems will not really lower your work load or impact the chemical maintenance.

There are also many threads discussing the damage (or lack thereof) of SWG pools to natural stone around the pool.

If you must have rock, and can not have SWG, then I would use the money you would have put to UV/ozone to purchase and peristaltic pump to automate the liquid chlorine addition.

Jason covered the basics. Just search the forum on the topic of UV/Ozone/Alternative Sanitizers and you'll find lots of discussions.

As for having an SWG or not, that should be up to you. However, as we recently learned from a TFP user who works for a Texas based pool builder, the sub-contractors used by the PB are driving the wedge between SWG's and pool owners because they are frustrated with warranty claims on their work. A high quality stone mason will know how to do his tradecraft when salt is involved. There might be extra costs with sealing stone or a reduced selection of materials that can only be used with salt, but a good mason should know how to navigate it. The problem is, PBs want to use the subs that they have and if the sub refuses to warranty their work on a salt pool, then the PB is left holding the bag. Many PBs refuse to to take on added warranty risk and so they simply pull away from offering salt as an option. The science clearly shows that salt can be detrimental to certain types of stone and masonry work BUT there is no way to know before hand if it will occur and one has to use caution in selecting the right materials for the job. So, if you really want an SWG pool, you should get one but you will have to negotiate with your PB and there may be greater restrictions on what they will warranty.

UV and ozone will not keep you from needing chlorine. In fact, all the manufacturers of those systems are required by federal law to state that you must maintain a proper chlorine residual in your pool as UV and ozone are not primary sanitizers. So, as Jason said, if you have to maintain chlorine anyway, why waste the time and money on those alternatives? They claim that their systems allow you to use "low chlorine" but that is mostly bogus as residential pools are not designed with very sophisticated hydraulic systems and therefore have a hard time maintaining low chlorine levels without dead spots occurring.

Oh, and by the way, all pools that use chlorine (and acid to balance pH) are salt pools. All pools build up chloride over time as that is natural end result of all chlorine oxidation and disinfection reactions (chlorine is reduced to chloride and some else gets oxidized in the process). So it is not uncommon to find pools with high levels of chloride in them after just a few years especially in areas where fresh water exchange is infrequent.

Welcome to TFP!!

A properly balanced pool TFPC style will result in no harshness or discomfort. I am not bragging and TFP gets all the credit for my great pool water. People comment endlessly about how great my pool water is. Even the ones who have been in it 50 times. Their kids prefer our pool over all others. They can swim for hours with no eye irritation. And usually the FC is about 12 ppm in my pool when kids are coming over to swim all day. My CYA is 70 to 80 ppm. Maintaining the proper chlorine/CYA relationship will dramatically reduce the harsh effects of chlorine. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Chlorine level at shock level on that <--- chart are less harsh than a chlorine level of 1 ppm in a pool with no CYA in it. Well maintained TFP water is nothing short of amazing. We are on swim season 5 in my pool. I have never drained my pool. I have never shocked my pool. We have never missed a single swim day ever for any reason. If the water is warm enough it is always ready to swim. It has never been green or even cloudy. I drank the TFP kool-aid and I am still here.

Here is the entire list of stuff that has ever been put in my pool since the day it was filled in 2012.
Water
Salt
Bleach
Muriatic acid to lower PH
Calcium chloride to raise CH
Cyanuric acid, aka CYA, aka stabilizer
I spilled one drink in it last year :-(
20 Team Mule Borax to increase borates

You can do that with an SWG or by dosing liquid chlorine in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.