Ready to balance, but which parameter do I start with?

brew4eagle

Jun 2, 2016
Stafford, VA
First, I have to say this site is awesome! I've already learned a bunch and have become much less reliant on the pool store's water testing. I own the TF-100 kit and am just beginning to use it. I've read the basic info on the Pool School pages, etc. It all makes sense and I'm convinced TFP is the way to go. I really just need reassurance on where to start with the balancing of the pool chemistry.

At this point my water is clear, pH is 7.5, FC is low at 0.5, CYA is nearly 0, TA is 70. Where I'm confused is which aspect to focus on first? Raise the FC level first? CYA? TA? Any help, or a point to a thread that covers this would be much appreciated. Sorry for any newbie mistakes, and thanks in advance!

Get FC up to at least 2ppm immediately and make sure it doesn't drop below that.

pH is good, so also focus on getting conditioner/stabilizer and bringing your CYA up to at least 30ppm, then maintain at least 3ppm (never less than that) of FC. Everything else looks pretty good IMO.

Great, thanks for the info. I have some trichlor tabs, are those ok to bring up CYA? PoolMath indicates I'd need about 100 oz to get to 30 ppm, so ~14 of the 7 oz 'pucks'. I assume I add those slowly? Put several in socks in the skimmer baskets?

I would not use the triclor to get the CYA started if you try that the FC will be off the chart and you will not be able to swim while it is above SLAM level. You could add CYA to about 20 then use the tabs to get to 30 or slightly higher if you like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.