Air Pockets Next to Inground Pool

Nov 10, 2013
Atlantic Beach, FL
I found some air pockets next to the pool shell (see pic), and wonder if anyone else has had to deal with this and what steps were taken..

I noticed some of the pavers were sinking a little and decided to re-level them. As I pulled up the pavers closest to the pool, I discovered some pockets. The one on the right side is only about 4" deep, but the one on the left is 12" deep.

This pool is four years old and was installed along with a major renovation to the house. I didn't notice any paver sinking until this year, and thought it might be associated with some severe rainfall we have had here in N. FL in the past few months. I do not think I have a leak from the pool.

Attachments

• pool 001.jpg
    pool 001.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
  • baggage 001.jpg
    baggage 001.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 34
To get them corrected, you will need to pull up the pavers and fill with new gravel back up to level. My guess is the gravel is not very deep and the dirt underneath the gravel was never compacted. You may get some additional settling over time but I imagine it will be very minimal.

To get them corrected, you will need to pull up the pavers and fill with new gravel back up to level. My guess is the gravel is not very deep and the dirt underneath the gravel was never compacted. You may get some additional settling over time but I imagine it will be very minimal.

What type of gravel should I pack in the empty pockets? The only gravel I observed was just below the pavers. I pushed a piece of 1/2" aluminum angle a foot down on the left side, but it easily went down another 4" into damp sand (not wet, just not dry either). I did the bucket test and that turned out OK.

A good substrate for pavers is called pea gravel It's screened gravel about 1/4" diameter. Screenings are even better if you can find them in your area. The quarry will know what you mean when you say "screenings" and you can go look at it.

If you are uncomfortable resetting the substrate, you should call in a tile guy to have it professionally done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.