Is my pump too large?

spdrcr

Jul 12, 2015
Arnold, Mo
I've been thinking my pump is too large for my pool. It's 2HP and the water really flows from the jets, my kids have trouble swimming against the current. When I came home today my pump motor was running but not pumping and it was making more noise than usual. I think it's done after 13+ years of Missouri weather. Should I replace it a 1 1/2HP?

Thanks,
Matt

Welcome to the forum!

If you have no high flow rate needs (e.g. spa, waterfall), then almost any pump will do. I run my pool on a 1/2 HP 2 speed pump. So I would say a 1 1/2 HP is still too big. Do you have a controller or timer to turn on and off the pump?

14-16 hours is probably way more time than you need too. My pump averages about 4 hours per day in the summer.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

If you are interested in a two speed, here are a couple of good choices:

Hayward MaxFlo XL SP2307X102
Pentair SuperFlo 340042

But you would need to add a two speed timer to switch speeds automatically. Or you could switch speeds manually.

Yes, low speed reduces energy costs by over 75%. High speed of your old pump probably used between 2000-2500 watts. The pumps above on high speed will use 1000-1400 watts and on low speed 250-300 watts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.