Hayward 250 Electronic Start pipe sizing

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Had the gas guy over today to hook up our new Hayward 250 electronic. Manual says it need 1 inch pipe. Gas guy ran 1.5 inch pipe, then narrowed it to 1 inch at the heater and then 3/4 inch as in enters the heater. I asked him if that satisfies the manufacture's requirement of 1 inch pipe. He said yes. Does it? Can he use 3/4 inch going into the heater?

So we tried to start our heater today for the first time. Twice we had IF messages and the service light came on. Called the pool guy, says he doesn't install too many electronic start heaters and will have to come Monday. Anyone want to guess?

With my H250ED2 heater, and with help from several people on this forum, I did the following after getting the IF code:

1. Used a continuity tester to check all of the switches
2. Replaced the igniter/flame sensor
3. Cleaned out burner for any trash, spider web clogs
4. Had HVAC neighbor to test gas pressure and gas valve
5. Replaced control module - finally, my culprit!

After replacing control module, heater fired up first time. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few days and the control module failed altogether. No power or anything. Vendor is replacing defective part :-D

I hope your issue is not as costly.

He came by tonight while we were out for dinner. It's working and I have no idea what he did. Now a new question. Which temperature guage is correct: the pool heater, or the salt generator electronics? Salt says 71, heater says 64. Can't turn on salt generator till temperature is 70. Tips? Oh yeah, it appears there are mounds of salt in the deep end.

GADawgfan:
did your new circuit board work?

After we repaired the hoses to the fan, ours ran for a few hours, but not the next day. Think I'm heading toward a circuit board, but wanted to know how you did with yours. Thanks!

It worked for a couple of days - about three hours total. I feel it was my problem, that I just got a lemon. I put the old board back in and the original problem still persisted, so the new board fixed it. It was nice while it lasted! MyPools.com agreed to replace the defective part, so I'm waiting for my replacement. Now that summer has arrived, the heater will just have to sit until fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.