I just can't get it balanced

2sue2

Jul 4, 2016
Yorktown, NY
Hello; I purchased a Taylor test kit after reading other people's posts. Here are my numbers: FC=10ppm {20 x .5); TC= .4ppm; PH= 7.4-7.6 (This is the first time all season I have been able to get my PH up. last Thursday I put in PH UP) Alkalinity: 200ppm; calcium hardness: 100 ppm and CYA: 80ppm
Additionally, I had algae early in the season and used non-foaming algaecide which foamed. It took over two weeks to get it all out. I also noticed that my stairs stained this year, and I have a few places where 'algae looking' stains are appearing on the bottom of vinyl liner. Before I purchased more chemicals (I have a bunch after the algae incident Clorox, liquid chlorine, etc) I would ask for your assistance. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

**I just re-did the Calcium hardness test with the 25ml adjustment and after the R-0011L, the sample turned blue, so my CH zero***

Last edited:
Those numbers look fine, even though the CYA is a bit high.

Other than draining about 1/3 of your water and replacing it with fresh, you are good.

Hello! :wave: You do not need to increase CH since you have a vinyl liner. You also should be careful to not add anything else to the water right now other than simply regular bleach/chlorine to maintain your FC level each day. On occasion, you may need to adjust pH, but not too much else. I will provide these helpful reminders:
- Always refer to the Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Charts for accurate levels to follow (links below).
- Almost never use any algaecides or pool store products as most tend to cause more problems later.
- Your TA is high at 200 which would normally allow pH to rise quickly. If you're not having that problem, then don't worry about it right now.

Your most important issue at the moment is remaining algae-free. You mentioned stains from previous battles, but hopefully you have no live algae now. No cloudiness or green "dust" anywhere in the pool? If you are in doubt, perform an overnight (OCLT) test as noted on the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page. Before bed, you can use the FC of 10 as your starting point and see if you lose too much overnight. If you do, then you need to "SLAM" your pool to make it algae-free.

For now, read our Pool School and the other links I provided you above & below. Save them for future reference and trust your Taylor test kit. You did good to order that for yourself. :goodjob:

Thank you for the information. I do not see any cloudiness; the pool looks clear. I keep a solar cover on it overnight and when we are not swimming. Will that have any effect? I will check out all of the suggested links. THANK YOU!! I wanted to invite my 2 year old nephew swimming, but wanted to make sure it was safe.

Your water should be fine to swim. With that elevated CYA of 80, just make sure to never let the FC drop below 6. Me personally, I'd never let it go below 7 for sure to be safe (algae). The cover should help save some FC from the sun and keep debris out of the pool, so that's always a good thing. Enjoy the swim, :swim: and let us know if you encounter any problems or have any questions.

Remove the chlorine tabs and don't use them again unless you go on vacation or something. Those tabs are one of the big reasons your CYA is so high. Use only liquid bleach to increase FC. Like a pet, a pool needs to be "fed" chlorine each day. Clorox is fine, but any generic bleach will do. Just make sure it's regular/plain and has NO splashless or scented qualities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.