Cloudy Pool; Filter Spitting Sand/Debris Back Into Pool

Jul 19, 2016
Chesapeake
This is my first post on TFP...FYI.

I bought my house a year ago in May...so this is my 2nd summer with this pool. The pool is cloudy. Has been, pretty much consistently, for two summers now. Just A LOT of particles floating in the water that the filter can't seem to pick up...instead it shoots it right back into the pool.

I know how to maintain proper chemical levels (Chlorine 1-4 ppm, PH 7.4-7.6; Alk 80-120; Hardness 200-400; Cy Acid 30-90) and am fairly successful at doing so.

I have replaced the sand (end of last summer); replaced the Key/Seal Assembly (last week); and run the pump way more than is necessary to achieve clear water.

But...my water never clears up.

The clearest my water ever gets is when I turn the filter off for 3-4 days...all the particles in the pool sink to the bottom...and then I vacuum everything to Waste. But...when I turn the filter back on...dirt, sand, and more come shooting into the pool. When I vacuum to Filter, junk just shoots right back into the pool. It's as if using the Filter is the worst thing I can do for the clarity of the pool.

I do backwash and rinse. I have tried clarifier. Nothing seems to work.

So yeah...I need help!

Thanks

Welcome...Sounds like you may have a broken lateral in your sand filter. Open it up, remove the sand and inspect the laterals. Also, how are you testing your water? FC 1-4 sounds like a pool store suggestion. Your FC should be based on your cya level. After you check out your laterals, and IF you test results are good you can add some DE to your filter to help in clearing. Start by reading, ABCs and Pool Scool, up top.

Just A LOT of particles floating in the water that the filter can't seem to pick up...instead it shoots it right back into the pool.

I know how to maintain proper chemical levels (Chlorine 1-4 ppm, PH 7.4-7.6; Alk 80-120; Hardness 200-400; Cy Acid 30-90) and am fairly successful at doing so.

As already mentioned you most likely have broken filter. My filter is one of the important reasons I can't see pool light diffusion at night.

On top of that you need to reconsider your approach to balancing water. If you'd like to use TFPC method then it is based on CYA concentration and it doesn't vary widely on its own. Your statement CYA 30-90 corresponds to required FC levels of 4 - 10 ppm respectively. Quite different levels if you ask me. Besides that TFP recommends to use only TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kits for water testing to ensure precision and consistency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.