What is reason for weekly timer on pool cleaner ?

Jul 10, 2016
College Station
Doing my due diligence before buying a cleaner....

I don't get what weekly timer is ? Is this if you want to leave unit in for a week ?

what is typical way using a robotic cleaner ? You drop it in and then come back couple of hours later and take it out ? Can you drop it in before bed and then take out next morning ?

many thanks.

Geez, I'm so glad someone asked this question, and I hope someone chimes in! What the heck good is a weekly timer if you aren't supposed to leave it in the pool for extended periods?

We are leaving for vacation in 9 days (who's counting), and I'm not planning on leaving my new robot in the pool.

Because mine is brand new and I'm a little obsessed, I just drop mine in after our last swim and then I take it out after it's run it's cycle. But I'm sure it's fine to leave it in overnight. I was warned, however, to not leave the power supply out. It can take a few sprinkles, but it's not waterproof. My set-up is such that I can leave the caddy and power supply in the pool shed, and run the cord and robot out to the pool...

You guys are spot on. I think the Robot Manufactures are trying to compete with the Pressure/Suction side cleaners that have a pump that run on a timer and those stay in the pool all the time. However, as you know a Robot is a lot more sophisticated then the pressure/suction side cleaners with many more moving parts and seals/o'rings. In my opinion leaving a robot in all the time will most definitely shorten it's lifespan. However, if you were to be gone for a few days and wanted to run a cycle while you were gone or overnight OCASSIONALY I think this is a pretty neat feature. Also as mentioned, the power supply shouldn't be left out in the elements as the heat and rain can damage the internal components. Just my two cents.

I really think the timer feature is pointless because my filters are always full after each cycle and they require cleaning. If I don't clean them the robot will not make it through the second cycle. Also, organic matter, especially worms and bugs, quickly rot and stink to high heaven if left in the cleaner whether it's left in the pool or not. As for the power supply, I've always left it outside attached to the caddy with no problems. It gets rained on and watered by the sprinkler system. I just assumed it was water proof. Now I'm worried.

I really think the timer feature is pointless because my filters are always full after each cycle and they require cleaning. If I don't clean them the robot will not make it through the second cycle. Also, organic matter, especially worms and bugs, quickly rot and stink to high heaven if left in the cleaner whether it's left in the pool or not. As for the power supply, I've always left it outside attached to the caddy with no problems. It gets rained on and watered by the sprinkler system. I just assumed it was water proof. Now I'm worried.

Definitely not waterproof! When I took the screws out of my Doheny Discovery Power Supply, there is no seal along the edge where the two halves of the case separate. I don't imagine that a little spritz of water would cause a problem, but get direct blasts or submerging the unit will probably kill it pretty quick. It has a lot of electronics inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.